Replacing cv joints - the 3rd option...

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

I just got an e-mail from EMPI, the axles will become available 1/17/07. Part numbers are Drivers side 80-6137, passenger side 80-6138. They are not available at NAPA. There are a couple of internet stores that carry EMPI axles, not these yet, but they are very reasonable. Google "Tercel" "EMPI" or "Tercel" "Axle".
waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Post by waynehoc »

Keith, that's great news that EMPI will be making complete new halfshaft assemblies available soon. I presume you will be grabbing one (or two) as soon as they are out of production. Let us know where you source them, and the cost.

My EMPI halfshafts have been performing great - they are basically a non-issue - no problems at all as yet - although, with a 2WD wagon I don't do any offroading, and am a pretty conservative driver; guess you could say I go easy on them.

Wayne
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Fantastic!
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Thanks for the info!
Any (even a) guesstimate on the cost for a pair?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Oh yeah, my order will be in on the 17th or 18th. I'm going to try to pre order them through Memphis Rack & Axle.

As for cost, an EMPI Axle for an 88-90 Tercel at Car-Stuff.com lists for $73.15, same at drivewire.com. I expect ours will be higher.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Well, that does not seem too bad; I was expecting a lot more for a totally new part.
Duralast from Autozone is roughly $140/pair, including boots, but not seals/nuts.
Cardone from Advance is roughly $160/pair and ditto.
These are rebuilt, whereas the EMPI are all new (as far as I can deduce from the site).
The idea of doing it once, more or less for the life of the car (or mine, anyway) is appealing, even if 10-20% higher.
EMPI's site, incidentally, is http://www.empius.com. It is pretty interesting.
Tom M.
Last edited by ARCHINSTL on Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Their catalog just says Tercel 83-86 for those part numbers. I can't really see the FWD and 4wd models front halfshafts being different though?
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Post by waynehoc »

They are the same for '83 thru '86 Tercel sedans and '83 thru '88 wagons - same part # in the Toyota EPC.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

keith -
Anything new on your EMPI axles?
Pricing for ______?
Thanks,
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Haven't ordered them yet, some other things have come up. Right now the Tercel is in my Brother in laws garage with catastrophic brake failure. New parts got here yesterday and I'll be putting them in Saturday.

BTW, the brakes did not fail on the road, I was doing a brake job. I rebuilt the front calipers and I noticed that the piston was badly rusted, but I put new seals in it anyway. I was almost finished bleeding it when it suddenly started sucking in air. It didn't leak fluid out, but it wouldn't bleed either, kinda strange like it had a one way valve in it. I ordered a new caliper, hose and master cylinder.

Its starting to look like the seal between the top tank and the core of the radiator is weeping again, but I could have nicked the core from when I put in the new engine.