replacing valve seals with head on

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
kaji

replacing valve seals with head on

Post by kaji »

I was wondering if you need to have compressed air to hold the valves in place (3a engine) when replacing the seals or can I do this without it as long as the piston is at the top of its stroke on each cylinder.
Soutthpaw
Top Notch Member

Post by Soutthpaw »

you can do it with pistons at TDC as valve will only drop about 1/2 inch or less . if you look at my gallery pics (soutthpaw's Projects) you can see where the valves sit in the head. pistons are basically flush with the top of the block at tdc
1989 Toyota Van LE 4x4
1987 Toyota Parts Van 4x4
1981/2000 International S1724/4700 CrewCab T444e
1974 Wellcraft Airsolt (Boat)
ASE Master Auto Tech.
kaji

Post by kaji »

Thanks Southpaw, I just wanted to make sure this could be done as I had just replaced the head gasket and didn't want to pull the head off again.

Does anybody know how the new seals are supposed to stay in place on the valve guide bushing. It would seem to me that they should click into place because when I remove the old ones a piece of rubber breaks away. The new ones just slide up and down on the valve stem when I move it up and down opening and closing the valve. I have tried using a 12 mm socket and rubber mallet to tap them into place but this does not work either. I'm starting to think that maybe they sold me the wrong size although they seem to fit snug on the valve stem.