Heat treating gears

Post here about...well...anything!
kamiphloj
Top Notch Member

Heat treating gears

Post by kamiphloj »

I,m going to bum out most of you hi-HP trannie smashers with a little background on heattreat.I am not an expert,but I may have a little shop time.
Generally,for economic reasons,blanks of a medium alloy steel,like a chrome moly,would be pre-heat treated then made into gears.These steels don't get real hard,like Rc 34 or so.To get a hard gear,the gear blank would be pre-machined with extra finish steel left on.Then,thru nitriding or casehardening a hard surface,tough core part is made,but it gets heated to a dull red 1400 f or so.At this point,the crystals change,then the steel is quenched.Warpage and size change are inevitable.The gears would not be usable till it was finish machined,probably ground.All that costs.To retro-heattreat existing gears is unlikely .High production gears are also made by powdered metal processes,requiring big investment.
To have something custom made,better start with a set of Toy engineering drawings.Reverse engineering has its pitfalls.Trannie parts are quite precise.
I don't mean to put a wet blanket on the fun of imagination.I'm suggesting the devil is in the details.Unless you have a great deal of resources(Powerball) or unless a niche market manufacturer can apply economy of scale ,its a good idea to be sure you can get all the way there before you get halfway there.
There are only so many transmissions.
Titanium nitride may have some small potential.kamiphloj
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Heat treating gears

Post by ARCHINSTL »

kamiphloj wrote:Unless you have a great deal of resources (Powerball)...
Great line !
And Thanks for the information as well.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain