New sounds from the terc

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
scotisha
Top Notch Member

New sounds from the terc

Post by scotisha »

The terc that i just got started to make a new sound the other day. :? It usually makes a gurgly-muffler noise (a blub blub blub sort of sound :wink: ) when I let off the gas at higher rpms but now there is a 'thrumming' vibration sound that accompanies it at fairly high rpms when I let off the gas. I sounds like it is comming from directly under the gear shift. I looked under the car and the muffler is all shiny with no holes and nothing seems broken or weak (I wiggled the drive-shaft and some other random parts.

So what you guys think? I don't really know much about cars so if you need a better description give me some specifics to look for.

Thanks all!!!
Driver: '86 4wd Tercel Wagon
Fun: '98 BMW M3 sedan

Now I have the best of both worlds!
mike30

Post by mike30 »

I could say ... when you listen to a noise you should check that this happening soon when you even could repair it and is not too late.

I listen a noise in front of the engine for one month and when check the mechanic he told that one more time and I have lost the engine, I show them the part that toward the noise, this gear had too much I move.

this causes a screw which was not very tight to the pulley and gear
Tercel White 4Wd '83 a friend.
TOYOTA don't use it, mistreat it.
Visita mi blog en español:
http://tercel4x4.blogspot.com/
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Re: New sounds from the terc

Post by takza »

scotisha wrote: now there is a 'thrumming' vibration sound that accompanies it at fairly high rpms when I let off the gas. I sounds like it is comming from directly under the gear shift.
Could be some sheet metal vibrating? Check the trans oil? Something riding on the trans housing? Probably that new exhaust is loose somewhere?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

scotisha
Top Notch Member

Post by scotisha »

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to go in this week and have it checked out.

otter63
Advanced Member

Drive Train Hum on Deceleration

Post by otter63 »

scotisha wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to go in this week and have it checked out.
Did you ever figure this one out? I am now having a similar problem. Last winter I let my foot off the gas to decelerate from 70 to 60 mph in 5th gear, and the car started humming from somewhere in the drive train, a relatively low pitched sound that seems to vibrate the whole car. Got it to happen in several different gears at about the same RPM. When I checked the transfer case, it was bone dry, so I refilled it. Maybe it has all leaked out again.

Any other ideas? It only occurs when the car has been driven about 50 miles steadily, so I guess when the transmission is fully warmed up?

8)
1986 Tercel 4WD Deluxe with one SR-5 seat installed and 261,000 miles driven.
scotisha
Top Notch Member

Post by scotisha »

It was a rusted through clip that held the exhaust pipe on. The mechanics just took it off and presto, no more noise. Good luck with your odd noise ;)

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Most "odd rumbly noises" people hear from under the car comes from a loose heat shield or loose ecxhaust hanger. Check those out before you assume the worst.
The T-Case and Tranny, along with the front diff, all share the same fluid reservoir. If you check again, Check all the fill-plugs. With the smallest drain plug backed out something like 14 turns (the FSM has the procedure and exact number) you'll want the fluid to be just a little bit below the main fill plug in the tranny. Level of course.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
otter63
Advanced Member

Post by otter63 »

Right on! I'll get under the car tomorrow and check it oot. Thanks.
otter63
Advanced Member

Post by otter63 »

Well, "tomorrow" turned out to be almost a month later :D but I finally checked the whole underside of the car. Transmission, transaxle, and rear differential fluids are full, so no leaks since I changed out all the fluids last winter. There are no loose exhaust parts. I had the tires rotated, rebalanced, and checked for roundness, but everything checked out fine. They are 175/70R13 studded snow retreads, and are a few years old, so maybe they're starting to come apart? But I've had that happen before, and that felt like a pronounced bump, whereas this feels like a deep vibration that only occurs on deceleration at about the same RPM. Checked all U-joints, but they didn't seem to have any play in them.

What else is there? Propellor shaft unbalanced? Differenthal worn? Rear bearings worn? i'm taking it skiing tomorrow, so will be able to listen to it and feel it again to see if happens again. I'd appreciate any ideas before then, so I'll know what to listen for, how to test it.

Thanks!

8)
otter63
Advanced Member

Changed to a rhythmic hum

Post by otter63 »

Took the Tercel to the slopes yesterday - what a great car! Anyway, the deep vibration on deceleration did not occur again, so me thinks it was maybe the snow tires. Now that the rears are on the front, and both are rebalanced, the most I could hear was a rhythmic hum when they got fully warmed up, similar to the sound that I get from my other car with snow tires on it.

Now if I could only figure out a cheap way to ship it to Hawaii . . .

8)