Rhythmic Rear End Noise

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Rhythmic Rear End Noise

Post by ARCHINSTL »

OK - please bear with me...
The car has developed a rhythmic, almost knocking, barely-audible sound from the rear axle and/or driveshaft. This is also barely detectable tactilely while putting a hand on the driveshaft tunnel. It is present while under load or while coasting and whether in FWD or 4WD in straight-ahead driving. The frequency increases with speed. There is no shaking or juddering at any speed.

The rear end is full of lube. When the axle is lifted, the wheels can be rotated/shaken with nothing noteworthy happening. The braking is steady, with no funny noises.

This is gonna seem naive - but here goes: I thought about disconnecting the driveshaft at the axle and suspending/anchoring it to see if the noise disappears (FWD operation only). Or - should I pull the drums and check them first, even though nothing appears wrong?

Has this happened to anyone else? Universals or center bearing? Worrisome, or just do the other already-planned stuff first (struts-mounts-CV axles)?
The 6-speed car has 171K miles, and probably has never been "off-road."
Thanks to all.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I'd take a look at the drum brakes in the back...also check the rear wheels/bearings for play?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I Had exactly the same trouble with mine, check this thread and see if if helps..

I still goto fix mine though.. haven't been driving much lately though

good luck with it

viewtopic.php?p=13122#13122

still check your bearings anyway

Matt
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Thanks for the answers.
I feel sheepish for missing the earlier thread.
When I get home this week, I will check, in order, the tightness of assorted fasteners, the wheels, drums, bearings - and then the shaft. I will add to the literature.
It appears that the U-joints are not replaceable, per the AZ site.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

if its bearings dont let them get too loose, i once lost all braking capacity because of bearing play, it mooved too much so it came apart inside the drum
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

Arch,

Both of my rear axles are out right now, already have the new bearings and seals installed on the axles. I was hearing the same type noise you mentioned, it would gradually pick up in speed as the speed of the vehicle increased, until it was just a loud roar. I parked on a side-to-side incline at the junk yard last week, and when I got back to the car, there was a puddle of gear oil around the left rear wheel. Left axle bearing was shot, so I decided to do the right one as well.....going to do the rear brakes while I have the drums off, too. Hope to get it all back together in the next couple of days.

Keep us posted !

MM
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

MM -
OK - apart from the noise - did the wheel assembly feel loose or ? when you moved it? When the wheel was removed, did the drum move around/feel loose horizontally or radially? Would it compare to loose axle cones on a conventional bike hub?

The AZ site refers to special tools/press to install the bearings - dunno about the FSM, as I am not home right now. In fact, the AZ site recommends taking the axles to a machine shop for installation - is this what you encountered as well?

What was your source for the bearings and seals? Big bucks?

THANKS...
Tom M.
P.S. Went to the Bike Pedlar, et al, sites the other night - very impressive sites and stores!
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

I didn't really notice much sloppiness before I took the drum off, but once I got the axle shaft loose, there was some play in it.

I ordered the bearings and seals from a local parts store. They also have a machine shop, so I had them install the bearings on the axles for me as well. Altogether, parts ( bearings and seals ) and installation of the bearings on the shafts was a little over $100. I think the bearings themselves were around $35/ea.

Hope to get it all back together today !

It's a pretty cool store to work at. The running joke among the employees is that when any one of us puts our bike on top of our car, it quadruples the value of it... :lol:
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Also check your carrier bearing.
Grab the driveshaft and push/pull it to try and move it. If it has significant back/forth movement, loook at the center bearing thing. Its the carrier bearing. If it is the source of the movement, it is shot.
As long as you are moving forward, the axle is rotating. It free-spins inside the transfer case. So, if it is rotating and the carrier bearing is shot, it can let out a low rumbling and vibration.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

Don't forget to check the center support bearing. My bearing was fine, but the rubber around it was worn and it caused a similar problem.

As far as replacement of the rear bearings, if you do replace them, take the axels out and bring them and the bearings to any machine shop to have them done. I used St Louis Auto Parts on Gravois, I took the old bearings off (cutoff tool and a chisel and big hammer) and I think they charged like 15 a piece to press the new ones on. Any shop could do it though, I just like using those guys.

Fingers
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Thanks for the words on the center bearing, guys. I had wondered about that as well.
And Fingers - really Thanks on the local outfit. Nice to know who has some experience in the area for the right settings/positionings.
I will certainly post my results to help the next person.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
Soutthpaw
Top Notch Member

Post by Soutthpaw »

That seems like a driveshaft problem, either u joint, carrier or bent driveshaft or you may have lost a balancing weight off the driveshaft. Wheel and Diff bearings usually will be a constant noise, vibration. Check your diff fluid and make sure you are not using Hersheys Syrup in there (means you got water in the diff)
1989 Toyota Van LE 4x4
1987 Toyota Parts Van 4x4
1981/2000 International S1724/4700 CrewCab T444e
1974 Wellcraft Airsolt (Boat)
ASE Master Auto Tech.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

WELL......
I pulled the drums - and discovered two leaky cylinders and shoes worn to 1mm+... So - I'm doing a brake job on the rear.

The axles do not move in and out or up and down, so I am presuming for now that the bearings are OK. Also, there is no indication of fluid having leaked past the bearings. The diff fluid is OK.

However - I can move the intermediate (front) drive shaft up and down (and horizontally) almost 1/4" in the center bearing, and the rubber mount looks pretty perished; it is intact, but has a lot of cracks and seems soft. So - I presume this is the origin of the noise. Any thoughts on this diagnosis?

I will have to wait a bit for the center bearing replacement, as this brake work was not anticipated - I presume the rubber cannot be replaced separately - at least it appears so in the wonderful FSM. I presume this replacement will not be an "A" item ? ? ? Other than being an annoying sound ? ? ?

Thanks to all - will post a followup.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Sounds like my center bearing...all I get is some rumble from it when going into 4WD at speed now and then. I'm leaving mine alone...ain't broke....don't fix.

My guess is that the noise will be gone once the brakes are done...but maybe not.........
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Sounds shot.
I'd do mine if it weren't for the price... Guess I've just grown tone-deaf to the rumble.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew