Rhythmic Rear End Noise

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Who cares if its a pain? Do you want to end up how 3AC did at one point? (digs up post)
viewtopic.php?t=869&start=0
The wheel bearing will keep your axle from popping out.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
kamiphloj
Top Notch Member

rear wheel bearig replacement plus seal driver

Post by kamiphloj »

So my brother and I were headed about 100 miles out to the Pawnee National Grasslands and his true wrencher ear didn't like some of my "roadnoise".Bah I says.Funny thing happened on a backroad a long way from nowhere.I went around a curve and saw in the rearview I had a smoke trail.Big one.Centrifugal force sent 90 wt to hot bearing.Greatly reduced speed and limped home.Bro lives in Severance,Co.Just before we got there heat caused wheel cylinder failure.Got to his place on the hand brake.A good way to go is,if you have it apart ,the parts don'cost too much and you don't remember replacing them,renew it.Near all of them are over 200000 miles.
I made a tool to install the rear seals square and to depth.Pix are hard right now but I will describe it.I started with a piece of aluminum round stock 2 1/4 in in dia. This is the smallest stock you can use to leave a depth stop shoulder.A little larger,2.312 might be better Face both ends at abot a 2 1/2 to 3 in length.then turn down a dia of 1.570 for a length of .265.round off the corner with a file for a .010 or so radius.This dia should be smooth as your new seal will slip over it.
From the shoulder ypu just made wit that cut,turn a 2.156 dia for a length of .218 or whatever the book says is the seal installation depth.This dia is just under the axle bore dia.The shoulder between the dia's gives full square support to the seal.The little step up to the full outside diameter of the stock is the depth stop.It will not enter the axle bore.
When installing seals it is a good idea to pack the open area behind the seal lip with a little grease.Prelubes the seal but also prevents the spring insisde from flying out when you drive it.Slip the seal on the tool and drive it till it stops square. kamiphloj
Like my old Volvo 544 with 4wd.I seldom regret neversieze or threadlocker
Mickey_D
Top Notch Member

Post by Mickey_D »

Sounds like a common problem on our Turtles. Mine does the same thing. Constant rumble that becomes audible at about 25-30mph and is completely consistent with axle speed. It gets to where the grumble is louder than the exhaust (which is only half there to begin with and rather loud) at about 55-60mph. Starts to drop off in db after 70mph.

Mine's been doing it since I bought the car at 186,000 miles. I'm now a little over 193,000 and it's only gotten slightly louder. Mind you, that could be because more of the car has fallen off due to rust. I've got enough air leaks in the rear half of the car that driving down a dusty road it's hard to determine whether there's more dust INSIDE the car or outside...... :wink:
1986 Tercel Wagon 4X4 SR5 (sold to splatterdog).

A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed, "To whom it may concern"!!
Eatpants
Advanced Member

Post by Eatpants »

this is happening to me too, damn this noise its scary... im going to pull the rear axles and get new bearings pressed in, i'll tell you what happens