Engine repair question

Post here about...well...anything!
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Engine repair question

Post by coltarms »

I'm posting it here because it's not a Tercel, it's my Jeep. Feel free to move this thread to the repair section if you feel it belongs there....

I just put a Banks header on my Jeep. It's a 2000 TJ 4.0L. I noticed that the inside of my intake manifold was absotively filthy. I mean filthy, filthy, filthy. I soaked it inside with almost an entire can of TB cleaner and let it sit until I was ready to put it back on. Some black stuff came out, but it was still covered with caked on black stuff. Carbon? It's multi-port injected. Will the same seafom/MMoil/water/soap Takza/Typrus method work? It seems that pouring water down the TB won't necessarily get it to the appropriate cyl?

My thought was disconnecting the throttle cable from the butterfly on the TB and using a spray nozzle on a hose to "mist" this carbon-cleansing-concoction into the intake in a way that it will be pulled into each cylinder. Am I overthinking this?
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Think that stuff is from the PCV circulation...happens on EFI engines where the injectors are right at the valves...no gas to wash it off.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

Tips on cleaning it? Will the same method as I use on the tercel work?
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I have a V6 with this stuff...about the only I know to clean it would be some kind of serious dip (off engine) or manually.

Might be able to clean around the throttle body?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

probably the EGR, those things cake intakes with crap, which end up making the car burn more gass because it becomes less efficient, IMO EGR's do more harm than good in the long run.

anyways, to clean it your best bet is to soak it in solvent overnight or longer.
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

I know it will sound like it will not work, but go to your auto parts store and but a big bottle of....dammit, can't remember the name of it. It is like Greased Lightning super degreaser or something. It is in a purple bottle. I picked up a bottle on sale and used it to clean my engine and such when I was doing the rebuild on the 4age. I figured anything in a plastic bottle would suck, but if you spray it down with this stuff and keep it wet for a few hours, you can remove most of it all using a simple wire brush or steel wool soap pads. The stuff is actually amazing. With just a quick spray and some hose action, my garage floor looks like new. Give it a try, it cleaned my intake, oil pan (easilly), inside my valve covers, all the nasty in the engine compartment, and most of the carbon from my head (with a little scrubbing).

Fingers
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
Soutthpaw
Top Notch Member

Post by Soutthpaw »

It seems that he still has the intake on the vehicle and does not want to remove it. if its off the vehicle then just throw it in a parts washer and scrub it a bit. it will come clean.
1989 Toyota Van LE 4x4
1987 Toyota Parts Van 4x4
1981/2000 International S1724/4700 CrewCab T444e
1974 Wellcraft Airsolt (Boat)
ASE Master Auto Tech.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Watch out... Greased Lightning bleached my center console..... It'll bleach plastic...
Does wonders on grease though.
Hey, Simple Green works pretty well too!
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

Soutthpaw wrote:It seems that he still has the intake on the vehicle and does not want to remove it. if its off the vehicle then just throw it in a parts washer and scrub it a bit. it will come clean.
yeah, parts washers are good, but at work it never seems to get the intakes clean, i;m sure if i left it in there long enough it would work, but your talking a good few hours.
Soutthpaw
Top Notch Member

Post by Soutthpaw »

gotta scrub it with the brush in the parts washer else it wont come off
1989 Toyota Van LE 4x4
ASE Master Auto Tech.
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

you must be spoiled, we don't get brushes :lol:
Soutthpaw
Top Notch Member

Post by Soutthpaw »

parts washer without a brush is kinda like a car without a steering wheel. they sort of go togather ya know
1989 Toyota Van LE 4x4
ASE Master Auto Tech.
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

As fun as taking it off again sounds, I'm just gonna live with it. I'm gonna clean the injectors and replace the O2 sensor (the one before the cat) and run a double dose of engine cleaner through it. Should be ok enough after that....
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

Soutthpaw wrote:parts washer without a brush is kinda like a car without a steering wheel. they sort of go togather ya know
your talking about a solvent bath? because the parts washer i'm refering to is enclosed, its a hot lithium-soap parts washer. hot enough to burn you if your not careful.
Soutthpaw
Top Notch Member

Post by Soutthpaw »

yeah parts cleaner.... if you have a hot pressure washer those work real well
esp if you spray a cleaner on it first
1989 Toyota Van LE 4x4
ASE Master Auto Tech.