Went to Japan.. this is what I saw

Post here about...well...anything!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Went to Japan.. this is what I saw

Post by Mattel »

Hi Guys,

Went on an amazing trip Snowboarding in Japan. The snow is incredible there powder heaven and they have boarding/skiing under lights till 9.30 everynight. The people are super friendly and funny and organised. Umm you can get coffee in a can out of a vending machine everywhere. Didn't get to the Toyota Museum or buy a pimped out Carib with Lazerdisk player or even see any cars like ours.

Did see heaps of later model Corrola type 4wd models up to modern day versions.

Indeed most cars in Japan (very few imports) have a 4wd model for the domestic market. The conditions are pretty extreme in the mountains similar to Canada I guess (almost half of Japan seems to be fairly inaccessable mountain with plenty of snow and ice in winter) So everything from your little Honda buzz box to your Minibus and delivery van all have various 4wd systems and studded tyres.

Some of the roads are heated near intersections A lot of the toilet seats are also heated (but I digress)

Anyway apart from lots of these standard Toyota type wagons with 4wd

There was a few of these cool little Nissan Rasheens

They have a 1.5lt engine, full time 4wd and look like they were designed from a mixture of Hummer and Russian ex Fiat factory parts, indeed someone said that they look like a european version of a 1950's car for Africa

They have a weird split rear hatch that goes right into the roof

Anyway Here's a few shots

Notice the exterior wheel holder in the first shot is tiny... probably only holds a space saver tyre?

This one shows how small this little boxy car is compared to a Prado and a galant size cars

The last image I got off the net but had to include, the cover for the wheel says

"4wd with the feeling of nature and the sense of urban, having a wide range of activities as daily space"

umm couldn't have put it better myself
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
T-Bone
Top Notch Member

Post by T-Bone »

snowboarding in japan would be sweet. where in japan were you? they have some crazy looking cars over, very cool looking. i wish they would import more of their 4WD cars that they have.
Daily Driver:
1988 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD
3AC 2BBl Downdraft Carb
Project Car:
1993 Honda Del Sol Si
D16Z6 Head/Block
D16A1 Pistons (C/R 12.3:1)
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

its my life dream to go to japan someday, youre one lucky guy
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I was in Niseko, a resort which is in the large Northern island of Hokaido, There was snow blowing over from Siberia. It snows the whole length or the island from right up to the waterline approx 15meters of snow a season on top of the resorts. But with a constant base of 5m and probably 10-30 cm each night we were there. But it's not the amount of snow but the quality that makes it so good.

I was staying with friends who have done seasons in Whistler and they said that they had better quality in Niseko in 10 days then a whole season in B.C.

The infrastructure is amazing with the city of Sapporro having parellel streets underneath the ground level also there were people actually surfing in Dry suits in some crispy looking 5ft barrels! out in the Japan sea!

If you have the means, and are a keen powder skier or border, you should definatly get there!

Hey on a clear day apparently you can see the island of Shanealan. Hi Sakhalin!

Matt
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms