tips&tricks on top end rebuild

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Care4cars
My tercel:: 1986 toyota Tercel wagon 4wd

tips&tricks on top end rebuild

Post by Care4cars »

is there any tips and tricks you guys have for rebuilding my top half of my engine. am working on getting my 1986 Toyota tercel wagon sr5 4wd running again. and I found coolant in my oil which would mean bad head gasket. so, any tips would help. :D
Paul
Advanced Member

Re: tips&tricks on top end rebuild

Post by Paul »

Look for Petro's detailed procedure in the Repair Guides section. I did the DIY resurface, using glass from a thrift store coffee table as a milling surface.
Care4cars
My tercel:: 1986 toyota Tercel wagon 4wd

Post by Care4cars »

Thanks I will definitely look for Petro
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Wet/dry sandpaper glued to tablesaw top works too. As long as it’s flat. I sprinkle water on sandpaper
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Paul
Advanced Member

Post by Paul »

I used water as well during the head resurfacing. When I was done I rinsed off the paper for reuse on general sanding projects.
While going over the cylinder head, I found a few valve adjusters that had been overtightened at the locknuts. I looked at the Honda B engine cylinder head that was gathering dust on my workbench, and decided to salvage the adjusters. They were the same size and thread, and a bit more heavy duty in quality.
Edit: Correction... these adjusters were from a Honda D15B engine, common in late 80s Civics.