e-brake

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
braxton
My tercel:: 86 wagon

e-brake

Post by braxton »

Anyone else’s emergency brake indicator light stuck on? I know it’s a dumb thing to be concerned about, but here we are, together, loving that feeling of getting closer to our tercel, one repair at a time.

Is there someone who’s found where the the sensor is stuck?
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Re: e-brake

Post by rer233 »

Just pull up the handbrake lever inside the car, and you should be able to see the switch for the light just to the right of the sector gear. Good luck!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

Dumb question, but is your brake master cylinder reservoir low on fluid? The level switch in that reservoir is the other signal that will trigger the brake light to come on.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Agreed with Mark. First thing is to check your brake fluid level. If it's fine, I would also check the voltage at the battery when the car is running. Park brake and battery light being on means the alternator is not charging the battery. I know you didn't mention the battery light but it's much more common to go bad than the park brake button.

If that's also fine, then I would look at the park brake light button. I believe there is a plug for it. You have to remove the driver seat (four 14 mm bolts) and pull a bit of carpet by the hand brake back to expose the plug for the park brake button. I would unplug it and see if the light goes out just to confirm that it's the problem.