84 T4WD Carb update

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: 84 T4WD Carb update

Post by dlb »

I used to not replace seals when doing stuff like this because I figured it didn't leak before so it should still be good, and sometimes that is the case but too many times I've found it starts leaking within a week of doing the job, so now I always do seals whenever I disturb them in cases like this. Same with CV axle seals.

I can't remember the paper gasket you're talking about, can you post a pic?
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

No paper gasket there. There is usually the remnants of a thin metal gasket though.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Page 535 of the FSM (or "rear axle - 27") has a diagram and some details about the orientation of the gaskets:

Untitled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I rarely replace the rear axle seals unless it is necessary. if they are soft and pliable, and undamaged from when you removed the axles, they should be good. If they are stiff, cracked or visibly damaged, replace them. I put grease on the rubber part of the seal and the seal land on the axle so they are lubricated when you first get it moving (dry seals can get damaged before any lubrication gets to them). Be very careful installing the axles so they do not get damaged (you have to support the axle so it does not rub against the seal as you install it, hold up until the end spine engages into the center diff spline).

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Phatcat
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel 4WD

Post by Phatcat »

Well they’re in. There was definitely a thin paper gasket on the small retainer plates, I ended up putting a small amount of rtv on them. Slapped a good amount of Lucas Red N Tacky grease on the shaft seals all around and in the spring retainer, on the bearing/housing surface, drifted the seals in there with a pvc fitting that was about the right size, and they seemed to seat well and be buttered up. The old seals were still good though, very likely.

The axles went in fairly smooth. I probably could’ve been a tad gentler., but after getting the splines hooked together and supporting the axle with my other hand, I was able to use my other hand and orange dead blow to seat the axles into the differential on each side. A couple good whacks and they inched their way into position. I got the retainer nuts on and torqued, adjusted the drum brakes, topped off the diff oil, and was done.

Test drive went perfectly and the terrible road noise I had is absolutely gone. What a difference. Smooth and quiet now.. I don’t remember who mentioned it first here, as this thread started as a carb and mixture thread, but we evolved over the weeks and thanks for the tip on replacing the rear bearings, this car needed it terribly. Hopefully we won’t have any leaking or weird shit happen. Thanks again. Barring any setbacks, we likely end this thread here.