Nice '86 4WD with 88,000km for sale in BC

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Nice '86 4WD with 88,000km for sale in BC

Post by waynehoc »

'87 Deluxe 2WD wagon, 5-spd, 330,000km, owned since '93.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Nice '86 4WD with 88,000km for sale in BC

Post by dlb »

I saw this on the fb group. The car is beautiful. The part that I have mixed feelings about is that the person selling it now bought it for $5k a month ago -- on one hand I think there's nothing wrong with flipping. If you have the money and come across a good deal, it's just smart to take advantage of that opportunity. But on the other hand, I'm annoyed because I would have bought the car for $5k but can't/won't pay the $8k this seller is asking.
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Re: Nice '86 4WD with 88,000km for sale in BC

Post by Nordical25 »

dlb wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:49 am I saw this on the fb group. The car is beautiful. The part that I have mixed feelings about is that the person selling it now bought it for $5k a month ago -- on one hand I think there's nothing wrong with flipping. If you have the money and come across a good deal, it's just smart to take advantage of that opportunity. But on the other hand, I'm annoyed because I would have bought the car for $5k but can't/won't pay the $8k this seller is asking.
I agree with you. "Flipping" is not the nicest thing to do but the whole car trading business is based on fact that they make some money for buying and selling cars. Modern dealers have usually computer programs, which can give exact buying in price and selling out price for each vehicle depending on their condition. Therefore, selling your Tercel 4wd too cheap may result into someone making a profit with your car if a buyer has access to these programs or has some connections to car dealers.

This happened also with one Tercel 4wd recently in Finland. One private person sold very quickly a Tercel 4wd for a very reasonable price. It appeared for sale at a dealer with a double price a couple of weeks later. It was not a mint one, but a roadworthy one.

If you trade in your daily driver for a newer one, you can expect that very same car to appear for sale with probably a higher price than you just sold it. That is basic concept of each business. You sell something with a profit to keep your house warm and to feed your family.

Best thing is to follow prices of your all vehichles from websites to get a good idea of proper price range. By doing this you will get probably most money of your car and avoid someone selling it instantly with a much higher price. This is why I do support selling vehichles with their current market prices without any regrets. If you regret too much selling your Tercel, you will have enough money in your pocket to buy a new one with a proper selling price.

But still, a car price is always condition dependant. A mint original fully working intact Tercel 4wd with low mileage has best selling price and is of course most interesting one for dealers. If you don't have such a car, you won't get the full price either. This 86' Tercel is good enough for collectors why someone can make a profit just by cleaning it if someone sold this one too cheap previously. There can be still a minor possibility for profit in this vehicle.

But you can contact the seller and leave an offer since it is OBO. You never know how fast he needs to sell it. An optimist can still get a decent deal of any car by test driving it and by chatting with the seller.