Rear Bearing Noise

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Rear Bearing Noise

Post by Mattel »

Completed a round trip of 1800kms over christmas to Adelaide and back with a fair bit of gear in the back and am now hearing a low noise from the back that is not so much a constant rumbling, but a rotational slight grinding noise (i'e once per revolution).

The Rear Bearings are fairly newish and we took the whole rear transmission from my '83 and swapped with this car when I got it last year, It seems to be getting worse since then, although I never noticed it in my old car so perhaps it is not the reat bearings?.

How long shoutld the rear bearings last?

Any other ways of testing.. I.e do the hubs get warm from friction? or check anywhere else?

Thanks guys!

Matt
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Might pull the rear drums and look for a loose spring or even a brake dust collection? Adjust the e-brake?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

After checking the brakes and bearings the Mechanic diagnosed rumbling noise as rear 'Diff noise' the fluid is allways replaced and newish.

Pity we havn't got free wheeling rear hubs like Hi-Luxs and other 4wd's have on the front of their machine, would improve wear and economy

B.T.W What other toyota's have a bolt on swap rear Diff.
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Sometimes the pinion nut loosens up and causes noise and since this car isn't rear wheel drive...you'd probably never hear it much under load?

I've just snugged them up to specs (never over spec) and then staked the nut to the shaft with a punch. Noise went away.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

Cheers, will give it a go before easter

thanks for the advice Takza
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

You might be able to replace the rear diff with one from a RWD Corolla Sr5. I've heard they are the same. But it might be easier to find another tercel....I still haven't found a rear for my 87 GTS....Sommabeech....

Fingers
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Fingers wrote:You might be able to replace the rear diff with one from a RWD Corolla Sr5. I've heard they are the same. But it might be easier to find another tercel....I still haven't found a rear for my 87 GTS....Sommabeech....

Fingers
i put a corolla diff in one of mine. got it frm All Toyota in Buckley Washington i called the toll free 800-829-9766 number and they had it at my house two days later. cost was 60.00 total but that was about 6-7 years ago
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

OK, I still haven't fixed my rear rumble since this thread started and the noise is only a little worse and as I may have some big journeys coming up I found a same model year dif for $150AUD 20kays away.

Tazka's fixish of taking the dif apart and staking the shaft is a bit beyond me as the FSM makes the dif look mightly complicated.

So, should this job be fairly easy for a fella with basic tools and an extra pair of hands? I guess I'll need some stands for under the rear. As the FSM doesn't really cover this particular replacement (that I can find). Perhaps a Torque wrench?

Is their a way of checking the replacement dif is any good? play in the axels? the dif has been pulled already, so I guess there will be no fluid to check?

Replace fluid in diff.. Is it worth getting the rear bearings replaced at a garage with a press while the dif is out?

Thanks in advance guys.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

First thing you'd want to do it to get the back of the car up on jack stands and then carefully check for PLAY where the driveshaft comes in at the front...and at the 2 wheel bearings.

Driveshaft (pinion bearing) should have no play.

Wheel bearings might have a little side to side play, but should have little, to no radial play.

Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

Thanks Takza,

Found the other info needed under the propellor shaft section. Thanks for the info. From What I can see I won't be needing any of the SST special tools.. (here's hoping).

Is it easier to get at any bearings or seals for quick replace while I'm there or get a shop to do? or only if things are sloppy like you mentioned?

cheers, Matt
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

That part about
rotational slight grinding noise (i'e once per revolution)
makes me ask the question about your u-joints. Have you checked them. Bearings usually make a constant sound.