so i put a rebuild motor into my tercel....now what ?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
lllmoparlll

so i put a rebuild motor into my tercel....now what ?

Post by lllmoparlll »

ive had this engine in for about 5 months and dont know what i need to do now, talking about maintance.

1) am i supposed to set the ignition ? if so, to what and what do i change ?

2)what do i re-torque cylinder heads and what to i readjust the valves too ?

3) this may sound stupid, i can find the oil drain hole from the engine, any ideas?lol
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Re: so i put a rebuild motor into my tercel....now what ?

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

lllmoparlll wrote:ive had this engine in for about 5 months and dont know what i need to do now, talking about maintance.

1) am i supposed to set the ignition ? if so, to what and what do i change ?

2)what do i re-torque cylinder heads and what to i readjust the valves too ?

3) this may sound stupid, i can find the oil drain hole from the engine, any ideas?lol
I recommend you download the tercel manual from our mainpage. This will instruct you on all the regular maintenance items for the tercel. It tells you how to do everything you could ever need to do on the car.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

CHANGE THE OIL!!!! Break in periods for a engine are very important!

If the head was torqued properly before installation, they shouldn't need to be re-torqued. I am pretty sure they are torque-to-yield bolts, and they tend to be designed to accomodate for stresses and such right off the bat.

Get a good set of feeler gauges, a screwdriver and a 10mm wrench, and adjust the valves, with the engine hot (warm her up real good and quickly pull the valve cover), to specs.

As far as timing, yeah, if it hasn't been done properly before, do it now.

Have fun....

Fingers
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
lllmoparlll

Post by lllmoparlll »

the tercel is new to me compared to my dodge. Which kinda maintance should be done on a regular basis ? any problems with 83s that i should know of ?

thanks
lllmoparlll

Post by lllmoparlll »

Fingers wrote:CHANGE THE OIL!!!! Break in periods for a engine are very important!

If the head was torqued properly before installation, they shouldn't need to be re-torqued. I am pretty sure they are torque-to-yield bolts, and they tend to be designed to accomodate for stresses and such right off the bat.

Get a good set of feeler gauges, a screwdriver and a 10mm wrench, and adjust the valves, with the engine hot (warm her up real good and quickly pull the valve cover), to specs.

As far as timing, yeah, if it hasn't been done properly before, do it now.

Have fun....

Fingers
btw, got everything done. thanks for help.
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

Nah, all maintenance is about the same. I'm not aware of any specific problems with 83's (or any other years in particular).

Welcome to the wonderful world of Toyota ownership, hopefully you will have a dependable vehicle for years to come.

Fingers
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

lllmoparlll wrote:the tercel is new to me compared to my dodge. Which kinda maintance should be done on a regular basis ? any problems with 83s that i should know of ?thanks
They are slow...but economical. Advancing the timing by a few degrees can help?

A few torroidally shaped spring boosters will help handling and braking.

Oiling will slow the rusting.

Good idea to redo the transaxle oil...by the book though.

Some writeups in the repair section....
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...