Strange things....

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Strange things....

Post by takza »

A neighbor has an older car with a sealed beam headlight (rectangular) that has a rock chip (star) in the front of it.

It also has around 2" of water collected in the bottom.

It also works...though it is dimmer than the good headlight on the other side.

Not only no vacuum or gas...but high humidity. How can this be?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

If it's a halogen sealed beam, they do have a separate bulb inside them. Only the really old ones with bare filaments require the airtight seal.
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

Back last spring, I got behind a truck on the freeway that was throwing gravel from the cargo area.....got a nice little star in the windshield, also put a hole in the sealed beam on the right side. After a few weeks of thinking the light on that side was somewhat dim, I looked and found the hole in the glass, but the light was still working, but like you said, takza, not nearly as bright.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Gasoline Fumes wrote:If it's a halogen sealed beam, they do have a separate bulb inside them. Only the really old ones with bare filaments require the airtight seal.
Didn't know that...... :oops:
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

ghettomobile
Advanced Member

Post by ghettomobile »

On this one vehicle I had, the headlight was cracked in half, but it still worked because it was a halogen sealed beam and the bulb itself was intact. It also was still as bright as the other light. I think the dimming comes from the corrosion that the water causes to the reflective coating on the back of the light. When I replaced it, I replaced it with one of those Sylvania silver star lights, and it was a much brighter headlight than the other one. I recommend the sylvania silver star lights.