What to Buy?

Post here about...well...anything!
dug320
Top Notch Member

What to Buy?

Post by dug320 »

Thinkin about buying a newer car. I love my tercel but I have less time to fixit.

What is just as reliable as my tercel and comes in 4wd?

The Corolla Wagon seems to be OK but I see units rusting badly. A Camry is bigger but not to sure about All-Trac. Subraru is not as well finished as a Toyota.
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

There's really nothing. The newer wagons are all very expensive. They made the Tercel a basic car but everything newer that has 4wd is considerably more 'refined'. Meaning $30,000 price neighbourhood. The Corolla wagon is okay, I have one now, but its extra weight and the centre differential 4wd system cost about 10 mpg vs. the tercel. They must think if you want utility, buy an SUV ($$$) and if you want economy buy a really small car (no room or 4wd). It sucks having owned a Tercel but being at the point where you can't keep it going.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Well, you could look at a Celica All-Trac. Not a wagon, not true 4wd, but they are zippy and hold the road well.
I've seen little Subaru 4wd Justy's shooting around with over 200,000 miles on the clock.

Well, you could try to buy a Honda Civic 4wd. I don't see many going around in great shape, the Terc sold far better in my area (and continues to... I'm seeing more and more Terc's migrate in from outside towns recently) and I see quite a few that are uber-shiny.

Rust around here isn't horrible.. We use Magnesium Chloride versus salt. It seems to be a lot easier on our cars.

Well, considering you didn't request size recommendations- Toyota 4wd truck and the 4Runner. Very reliable beasties and available in 4wd.
The 4Runner continues to be one of the safest and most recommended smallish SUV. My Uncle has about 7 sitting in his drive of varying years from 1985 to 2004. All are good vehicles. Sturdy built, and rugged. The early ones with the seperatable rear covers can make absolute offroad MONSTERS if you do the right things to them.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
ghettomobile
Advanced Member

Post by ghettomobile »

I have a 1988 toyota celica all- trac, but it is and has been taken apart for the last 8 years. It has around 150,000 miles on it, and it is fully loaded with leather and a sunroof. It was taken apart to replace the engine, and the engine was bought, but the engine sat out in the weather and seized, and we have moved a few times so the car itself is missing some bolts and front CVs.
ps24jeff

Post by ps24jeff »

You could always instead of buying a new car, take it into the shop and let them fix it if you dont have the time. You have to choose though because either way fixing it or buying a new one is gonna cost about the same so you have to choose what you want/need more.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

As far as I know they are otherwise reliable.
I suppose it would cost a lot of money either way. So what are the tradeoffs?
A newer car would probably have ABS and airbags, maybe 3-points in the rear. A newer car would be easier to get parts for. Also, a newer car would be near impossible to work on without computer training and several tools costing into the hundreds or thousands of $. The Terc would be a reliable beast, have 4wd, be easy to work on, and you already have it.
The key issue with having it fixed is finding a shop that won't screw you up the butt.
Another cool thing is that with the maybe $3000 or more difference a new car would equate to, you could fix up the Terc, then mod it!
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
ctishman
Advanced Member

Post by ctishman »

If you're anywhere that gets Fiats, look into the Fiat Panda 4x4. It seems to be the true spiritual successor to our little car.

Edit: http://fiat.co.uk/
Mosquito
Advanced Member

Post by Mosquito »

My wife's car is a 2001 Subaru Forester. I agree with you on finish--I had to address a couple rattles in the plastic housing (one in the steering column, one in the door) and a ratttle in a heat shield at 2700 rpms--but other than that, it gets a rave from me. Over 75k miles on it, the only part that failed so far (other than bulbs and stuff) was an anti-knock sensor. It only gets about 26 mpg, but we do a fair bit of city driving. Roomy. Very utilitarian. It drives a bit "bigger" than my Tercel, but some people don't mind that. The boxer engine shares the bulletproof reputation of the 22R, in my mind. And the newer editions are zippppppppy!

For what I paid for it, I think I got great bang for the buck. Of course, if you go for a lot of upgrades, Fuji Heavy Industries asks you politely to bend over. . . .
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

The Fiat Panda may be regarded by some as the spiritual successor to the Tercel*, but never forget what the acronym "FIAT" means - and I don't mean in Italian, but in "American". There is a reason that Fiats have not been exported to all of North America for many years....actually, there are many reasons...
* Personally, I think the Scion Xb or the Honda Element are the spiritual successors, and not just because of the country of origin. These guys will someday attain the cult status that our little cars have, although being modern will be much more difficult to work on than the Tercels.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain