downey lift

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
tercelcalgary

Post by tercelcalgary »

hey guys, i was wondering if anyone knows, if in the downey lift longer front shocks were used with the 30% stiffer springs or if the springs provided the lift

which member had the stiffened suspension with the two rubber spacers in under the front springs? is it too stiff and did it lift the car?

and one more question how come air shocks are not recomended for the back?
i imagine it's just too stiff!? :huh:
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

tercelcalgary wrote: :huh:
The springs provide the lift...the longer struts allow more height?

I have 2 doughnuts each spring all around and run my 60 series at 44 PSI...stiff, but livable..if you like some handling. Car is still below OEM ride height.

The Monroe air shocks might be OK if you don't do any serious offroad stuff...then the air lines crap out.

These shocks have a longer travel than the OEM shocks...which is a good thing offroad...allowing your tires to stay on the ground thru the rough stuff. Does not harm road handling at all.

Probably cost 2Xs what regular shocks would though...have them on my wagon...no air though.

They work fine with about 20 PSI in them (no load). More air for a load.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

tercelcalgary

Post by tercelcalgary »

so how the 2 spacers did not lift the car? how come you wagon is still below OEM rideheight?
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

The springs sag after 22 years and the rubber boosters mostly keep the coils they are in from getting any closer...but don't actually lift the spring that much.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

takza -
Dumb question, I guess, but where does one buy the rubber spring boosters? I thought you had a pix and story of them somewhere, but I cannot locate it.
Would you recommend these all-round in addition to new shocks - and how many per spring? We're talking strictly street use here. I have to replace the shocks, but must wait until the Spring - thought I'd do a little advance planning.
The AZ and Advance stores near me were not sources of information.
Thanks,
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Around here both those stores have them...must be popular with the ricers. JCWhitney does.

You can start with one per spring...then maybe go up to two.

In the Repair section...there are 2 pages...might be on page 2???