need some help, strut tower

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
83toybeater
Top Notch Member

Post by 83toybeater »

well here it goes, i have no shocks, completely blown(kybs here tomorrow). well i was out having fun with her and well it seems i bent the driver side strut tower up and over a bit my tire is angled in, it ripped the 4 fender bolts to the out, a few cracks and the rivets are stressed and stretched. overall it doesn’t look to good. anyone have any ideas how i can level it back out. i plan to seam weld the engine bay after its straight with the new shocks. i would like to put spacers between the shock and the tower is this something i should build accordantly? i have accesses to an alignment machine every day and welder and a torch and air tools.

any help or advice would be great. Thanks
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Some books have the frame alignment specs for the car...you measure from certain points to get things where they should be...in your case you might set it up like the other...hopefully non-bent side and weld it into place. Can take a lot of power to move things into place...depending on what part of the "frame" is bent.

How HIGH did you jump it? B)
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

83toybeater
Top Notch Member

Post by 83toybeater »

ya the pasanger side is perfect. it kind of streched the top flat part up a bit and cracked from the circle to the strut bolt closest to fender, as it pushed its way up and over. i see stress and strech marks down where it meats down lower in the bay by the frame. Are the joints glued or what the hell is the shit over all joints?
you are right about it going to take alot force to move this back, and was thinking maybe it would be easyer to make a spring spacer for between the strut and the strut tower. and make it to cancel out the strech???

i actualy didnt jump it. just going down a forest servse road around 60 and there was like little washes that went acrost the road and it just slammed the car so hard.( turned on the wiperblades from the force on the lever.) anyways i a little more carefull about that stuff now. plus kybs are probly going on tomarow and want to get the frunt streight again.
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

chasis welds are better if done with mig and tig machines since the weld is done in the absence of oxigen and are better quality, i did mine a while ago some spot welds came un done in my front end in the bottom i seam welded the whole shebang and the car turns much better now
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
83toybeater
Top Notch Member

Post by 83toybeater »

well i put the kybs in today. much better. the top baring plate or whatever you call it(with the 3 bolts that stick out the top) well it was bent pretty bad as well. i straightened it out in a press, banged on the strut tower allot and its a lot better now, not perfect, but better. i seam welded around the tower and points it stressed it, i used a mig welder, didn’t have the gas for it though L:(. had a hard time getting a good ground up there, even with the clamp damn near right next to where i was welding.
heres the downer, now it makes squeaky noises when i turn :(

anyone make a strut tower brace?