Incredible Discovery

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Aussie_3ASCV
Advanced Member

Post by Aussie_3ASCV »

i have found the greatest power increase in the terk! on the weekend i went out to the hardware store and up the top spotted a Can-Am hotdog barrel muffler. Its like 15 - 20 years old and not one of those fart in a can ricer ones like you se on civics and lancers. It has given the tercel an awesome low grumble sound and hasnt got that ping sound that most stupid exhausts have. but the greatest thing is low - mid range torque increase !!!! tercel feels like shes got so much more low end. off road it crawls over anything like shes never done before. when its day time i will post some pics of it. anyway just thought i would share it with the tercelling community
84 SR5, 4A, 75W Globes, CB Radio, Twin 13" Subs with Twin 750W Amps, Neons, 15" Enkei Rims Fitted With 215 65-15 Tyres, 200000Km on clock, GPS, Hood Scoop and plenty more to come. I love my terc
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I had a similar "exhaust tip" on a V6...with no muffler and it sounded great and not too loud. These have some fiberglass batting in them to reduce the noise some.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Aussie_3ASCV
Advanced Member

Post by Aussie_3ASCV »

nah this isnt one of those ricer shitty ones. its got all like cheese grate looking things down the inside and isnt just a tip. it replaces the whole back muffler section but still leaves the centre spark arrestor in place
84 SR5, 4A, 75W Globes, CB Radio, Twin 13" Subs with Twin 750W Amps, Neons, 15" Enkei Rims Fitted With 215 65-15 Tyres, 200000Km on clock, GPS, Hood Scoop and plenty more to come. I love my terc
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Hate to tell you this...but there was someone on the web who actually tested the backpressure for some mufflers...and a glasspack with the louvers inside like you describe had higher backpressure than some regular baffled mufflers.

Saw this long ago...I have one on my V6 right now...but it has holes inside rather than the louvers.

The tip I had on previously sounded real good...about like the expensive welded turbo mufflers...rusted out pretty quick though....but it quieted it down some.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...