Technical Questions

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
DiscoQuinn1

Post by DiscoQuinn1 »

Hello Tercel4X4 posters! :)

My name is Quinn Howling. I'm an ae86 owner, from Kitchener, Ontario Canada.
I run: DiscoQuinnDesign, 'Custom Car Consulting'. I offer services assisted buying and selling of specialty vehicles/parts, project organization/planning, tuning/styling consulting, and research.

I have a few questions on behalf of a client, as well as furthering my knowledge:

1. If a 4x4 Tercel is not in 4x4 mode, it's in RWD mode?

2. Are all 2-wheel drive Tercel wagons RWD?

3. What trannies are used on the different engine models/Are they all the same?

4. Can ae86 parts be used in a 20v swap?

5. What is the stock weight of a Tercel 4x4 wagon?

6. what are the options for LSD's for front and rear, regarding a 4x4 Tercel?

Thanks for your time.

~DiscoQuinn
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

DiscoQuinn wrote: Hello Tercel4X4 posters! :)

My name is Quinn Howling. I'm an ae86 owner, from Kitchener, Ontario Canada.
I run: DiscoQuinnDesign, 'Custom Car Consulting'. I offer services assisted buying and selling of specialty vehicles/parts, project organization/planning, tuning/styling consulting, and research.

I have a few questions on behalf of a client, as well as furthering my knowledge:

Thanks for your time.

~DiscoQuinn
Welcome to the forum!

A Tercel 4x4 wagon is either in FWD or 4WD. No RWD unfortunetely.

There are no OEM RWD Tercel's, period. You could pull the front axles out of one, and leave it in 4WD though. This would effectively make it RWD. You need a way to keep the front hub assemblies together though.

Within the world of 4WD Tercels, there are two manual transmission types. They are two different generations. The changes between the first and second type are quite minor. I believe the designations for the transmissions is Z52F and Z54F.

The 3AC engine in the Tercel 4WD sits in the same position (north south) as the AE86. However, the exhaust is on the same side as the intake, so there is not much room left around the steering column. Some custom exhaust work would be needed to route around this. Do some searching on this forum, and you'll learn lots about 4age possibilites for the Tercel 4WD. Make sure you set the date thing to look at all posts from day one.

Weight my Tercel in at 2400lbs. This is with full interior, a full sized spare tire, 1/2 tank gas, A/C, and a power sunroof.

The front diff of the Tercel is really weak, and I think fairly unique. The rear diff is shared with that of the SR5 AE86, so can theoretically be swapped to a GTS AE86 one (if the diff ratio is matched to the front).

Keep in mind that the Tercel transmission and front diff are really weak. They can't really take much power. Sounds like you're planning quite a neat project; good luck!
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

A stock tranny and front diff setup can handle approx 100hp and 100ft/lb torque before grenading. A 4AGE calls for either a RWD setup with front hub modification, or custom tranny and front diff internals. I would guess made of Chromium Molybdenum Steel, or something of equal strength. I am personally asking around at some manufacturing shops for about how much they'd charge for the operation. They all say they need to look at one. Go figure.

In a 4AGE application, you are increasing the torque by a large amount. The 3AC 1.5L 2bbl carb'd engine that comes stock features 62 horses at 4800RPM and 75ft/lb torque around 2800RPM. We have tossed around various torque-absorbing ideas in the past, including a close-fit 4-point rollcage up to a full-on tube-frame fabrication.

We have discussed lowering, lifting... IMHO, if you want something like a drifter car, doing something like dropping in a Supra tranny and a 4AGE would be in order.

If you want an offroad beast, there is the thought of examining the possibility of putting in the tranny and transfer case from a Toyota 4wd truck or a Suzuki Samurai.

Good luck with your project!
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
20vtercel
Top Notch Member

Post by 20vtercel »

DiscoQuinn wrote: 4. Can ae86 parts be used in a 20v swap?
I used nothing outside of my tercel for the basic engine swap. Outside of the engine swap is a different story.

** EDIT - what i mean to say is, i didn't use any parts to swap the engine in. I used all tercel accessories and pulleys. Other than that, alot of my electrical was manipulated with a 20v wiring and a SW20 wiring harness. Fuel was external.**
'84 Tercel HB, 202hp Turbocharged 20v, 4WD, Lowered, Custom exhaust, Mangles Rims with Avid V4 Rubber! Hola!!