Weber K740 32/36 kit review...

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

As many of you know, I decided to fork out the cash for a new Weber 32/36 kit from Weber Redline. The kit is designed for the 3AC and is part # K740. I received my kit last week, and decided to install it this weekend. Following are my immediate impressions:

Installation:
- Installation very basic and easy. Can't really go wrong.
- I found the Weber universal linkage kit to be a really mickey mouse design. Seems sort of weak and failure prone, also doesn't give the full accelerator pedal movement found with the OEM Tercel setup.
- Instructions are generalized, so you need to have some concept of what you are doing and how your carb/engine works.
- The air filter in the kit is definitely too tall for the Tercel engine bay. The hood doesn't close on it. I will be ordering the short version of the same air filter. For now I'm using a home made jobby.
- It's very nice to remove all the emissions vacuum lines and miscellaneous pieces. Makes the engine bay nice and clean looking.
- EGR is a little more difficult to remove. I have mine plugged up right now, but hope to remove it entirely soon. I will use a transmission filler bolt to plug the exhaust header hole (they screw right in and are shallow). And I'll fabricate a custom aluminum plate to cover the hole in the intake manifold.

Driving Impressions:
- Electric choke works excellent in cold/medium/hot temperature starting.
- Fast idle needs to be activated with a flick to the throttle before starting.
- Throttle response is EXCELLENT!!! Also, I'm in the habit of double clutching/rev matching. It's really fast for me to rev match now with the response of the new carb.
- Carb has a nice throaty sound on heavy acceleration.
- Carb idle speed/mixture very easy to set.
- Carb has very lean idle. When I looked down the primary barrel at idle, I couldn't even see any fuel (as opposed to my oem carb which literaly dripped fuel down the barrel at idle.
- Carb has better low rpm performance. And seems to provide more torque through the entire rpm range (noticable on hills especially).
- Carb runs much smoother.
- Acceleration doesn't seem to have changed noticably. But i'm sure a difference would be seen on a dyno
- Fuel economy remains an unknown at this point. I'll report back after a week or so of driving.

Edit: Fuel Economy is 25mpg in the city and 28mpg on the highway. This is with driving the car moderately hard. The city driving includes being stuck in rush hour traffic, and accelerating hard from lights. The highway traveling included large mountain passes and cruising at 75mph+.

All in all, I definitely recommend this modification. As mentioned in the past, it is probably one of the most desirable mods you can make.

Cheers,

Nick
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

congrats on your new carb any pics?????
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

shogun wrote: congrats on your new carb any pics?????
No pics yet, but I'll take some when I get the proper air filter on. Heh, I don't want anyone seeing my home made air filter. :lol:
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

GTS -
Thanks for the message; I'm sure we are all waiting for the writeup.
Clever thought on the transmission plug on the manifold!
A question: Does Redline or whomever say anything about the effect on emissions, or has anyone published anything in that regard? Even something like "Passes in Idaho and Manitoba and Kentucky, but not in California or Missouri or Saskatchewan"? Or "Must leave ______ attached to pass in _______"?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

ARCHINSTL wrote: GTS -
Thanks for the message; I'm sure we are all waiting for the writeup.
Clever thought on the transmission plug on the manifold!
A question: Does Redline or whomever say anything about the effect on emissions, or has anyone published anything in that regard? Even something like "Passes in Idaho and Manitoba and Kentucky, but not in California or Missouri or Saskatchewan"? Or "Must leave ______ attached to pass in _______"?
Tom M.
Your welcome for the comments. I probably won't do a write-up, as DirtMagnet already did quite a good Weber write up. Maybe I'll add some comments onto that thread that are specific to the K740 kit.

Redline Weber say the carb is 'for offroad use only'. However, when I was looking at their general install instructions, they do have a part of the carb that they say can be used to activate EGR. Not sure if this could be connected into the Tercel system or not.

I'm lucky in that I don't have to worry about emissions compliance where I live.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

me either
but i passed even with the 48 how i dont know but i passed
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Once its 25 years old I only have to ever take 1 test after applying for the collecters plates, then its done. As far as I know. I think as long as there is a cat there and the EGR still works, they won't give a rats arse.

Either that or $50 and they won't give a rats arse.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Well, I'm back with some fuel economy results for my new carb setup. I have not actually done a full tank of gas on the highway since installing the carb, so can't comment on highway mileage yet.

My City mileage is: 25-26mpg.

This is better than the 18-24mpg I was getting with my OEM carb. Not as good as I had hoped though. I'm trying to drive it as nice as I can to see if I can get even better economy (slow acceleration from lights, and trying to keep under 65mph). My wife bags on it though which I think is part of the problem.

I'll update on my Highway mileage in a couple weeks. I'm planning a 1300km trip that should give me a good idea of Highway fuel economy.

Hey cool, I just noticed that I've hit 1000posts B) .
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Lateer
Top Notch Member

Post by Lateer »

Last I looked, California had legislation that you could use any carb you liked, so long as you kept the stock air filter assembly.

And most of the Webers in Redline kits allow you to input PCV lines, so that's taken care of.

The EGR mounts to below the carb, on the manifold, so there's no worries there.

All in all, shouldn't be too much of a problem...
1983 Tercel SR5 with 185/75R14 tyres, 32/36 DGAV Weber carburetor, lumpy cam and upgraded Pioneer sound system. Veteran of several fire seasons (with the scars to show it) and known as "The Racing Turtle"
Aussie_3ASCV
Advanced Member

Post by Aussie_3ASCV »

im desperate to get the manifold converter kit in australia. i would pay heaps if someone could get me some info or something
84 SR5, 4A, 75W Globes, CB Radio, Twin 13" Subs with Twin 750W Amps, Neons, 15" Enkei Rims Fitted With 215 65-15 Tyres, 200000Km on clock, GPS, Hood Scoop and plenty more to come. I love my terc
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Aussie_3ASCV wrote: im desperate to get the manifold converter kit in australia. i would pay heaps if someone could get me some info or something
Call these guys and order by credit card: <a href='http://www.redlineweber.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.redlineweber.com/</a> Worked like a charm for me. Just tell them you want to order the adapter only.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
FH Bible

Post by FH Bible »

Do you know what size jets are in yours?

I think mine needs to be set up because it wasn't designed for a tercel. It backfires after I let off the gas high in the RPM's.

What is the best way to get the carb jetted or tuned in properly?

I drove the car up to Prescott from PHX and it did very well. Definately more power! Not fast still but not embarasingly slow. I need to post pictures for you guys of the swap, the carb and my header.

j
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Have a chat with Thornbury Carbs here in Melbourne, Australia, They have been a help to me in the past.

Thornbury Carburettors

Contact Peter
Address 763 High Street
Suburb THORNBURY
Postcode 3071
State VIC
Phone (03) 9480-2108

Regards,

Matt
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

FH Bible wrote: Do you know what size jets are in yours?

I think mine needs to be set up because it wasn't designed for a tercel. It backfires after I let off the gas high in the RPM's.

What is the best way to get the carb jetted or tuned in properly?

I drove the car up to Prescott from PHX and it did very well. Definately more power! Not fast still but not embarasingly slow. I need to post pictures for you guys of the swap, the carb and my header.

j
I actually am not sure how it is jetted. I'm fairly new to carbs and am scared to take the jets out to figure out what #s are stamped on them. I don't want to mess with my new carb! :unsure:

In the reference section of this forum, someone spent a bunch of time writing up specs for these carbs. He mentioned jetting issues in there.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Lateer
Top Notch Member

Post by Lateer »

Redline's website will have the standard jetting for these carbs, I'm sure.
1983 Tercel SR5 with 185/75R14 tyres, 32/36 DGAV Weber carburetor, lumpy cam and upgraded Pioneer sound system. Veteran of several fire seasons (with the scars to show it) and known as "The Racing Turtle"