Drove my Tercel on the freeway for the first time

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Inkyturbo
Top Notch Member

Post by Inkyturbo »

My '83 drove nicely, cruised at 75 the whole way to Riverside. With a little more effort it would go to 80 -85. The temp needle never went past the line for the top of the normal range- mind you this is in 100+ degree heat. I wish I could see the people's faces in their newer Hondas and such when they saw a 22 year old car flying by them at 80 in the left lane.... :lol:
Josh G.

Joy is passing a brand new car at 80 in the fastlane, with your 22 year old Japanese economy car.

1983 Toyota Tercel Wagon (4WD, SR5)
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Lol.. I jumped my Terc today with a few friends and got maybe 2 feet of air..
These things do their job and well beyond.
This morning I took my neighbor into school and he was shocked that I pegged the speedo and kept going. People in their Mustangs REALLY get confused when you whip by.. Of course then they put in some effort and you get screwed, but its worth the few secs of glory.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

well let me tell you something i have gotten mine up to 110 mph with no one doing the draft, but last time i was adventurous my firnd with a mustang 5.0 was in front of me and with the draft i reached a speed i think in excess on 120
the starlet turbo was behind me and since the speedo only does 180 i could not know ecactly how fast we were going but the needle in the starlet was pinned way before we were pushing hard
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
Inkyturbo
Top Notch Member

Post by Inkyturbo »

[QUOTE="Typrus"]Lol.. I jumped my Terc today with a few friends and got maybe 2 feet of air..
These things do their job and well beyond.[/QUOTE]

If I tried to jump my Terc I'd end up leaving parts on the ground- it needs shocks.

[QUOTE="Typrus"] People in their Mustangs REALLY get confused when you whip by.. Of course then they put in some effort and you get screwed, but its worth the few secs of glory.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Yes it is.

Because of the amazing amount of power my Tercel has, I have to wind out every gear to get up to freeway speed in a reasonable amount of time. Immature people interpret that as me wanting to race, and so every once in a while I'll get someone who was behind me doing a ricer flyby at like 80 as soon as I get on the freeway.

(* For all of you from Canadia, all speeds I post are in MPH.)
Josh G.

Joy is passing a brand new car at 80 in the fastlane, with your 22 year old Japanese economy car.

Inkyturbo
Top Notch Member

Post by Inkyturbo »

Today I did the same run with the A/C on, at the same speeds, still was very impressive.

Mind you, this car has 326,500 miles on it and is still on its first engine. Toyota built these things to last. I'll never pick up any girls with it, but I'll keep it unless the whole thing spontaneously combusts. Anything else is fixable. :D
Josh G.