Trip Meter Failed on The ROCKET

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Trip Meter Failed on The ROCKET

Post by larry mcgrath »

The trip meter has quit working on my car, I have a spare spedo but its 85 MPH ,with a good trip meter,only 160,000 miles on it,so the trip meter looks like new. Has anyone ever swaped trip meters? Looking for info, if no repair info I'll be looking for a new 110MPH speedo Larry :)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Trip Meter Failed on The ROCKET

Post by irowiki »

The trip meter is bad on Buck too, and I haven't taken it apart yet to see what is going on.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Post by larry mcgrath »

I pulled apart my spare spedo to take a look, and thats as far as I've gotten. Larry :?:
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

IMG_1981.jpeg

Reviving an old thread because there are no other threads on this here, surprisingly.

I have a spare cluster but the trip meter didn’t work on it. It would work for a bit then get stuck at random numbers. That bugged me because I always track my fuel economy.

I finally got around to taking it apart but initially couldn’t see anything wrong. I lubed all the gears and lobes with silicone spray but it still didn’t seem to work right. Finally I noticed a thin plastic bar that runs below the trip meter numbers was broken at one end. I circled the break in red in the picture above, hopefully you can see it (that was the closest pic I could take without it getting blurry). I krazy glued it back together and it seems good now. I’ll put the cluster back together and put it in my car soon and report back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks David!
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain