Electronic Ignition

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Teddy1
Advanced Member

Post by Teddy1 »

Aussie_3ASCV:

The short answer is, yes... the US spec integrated (HEI style) cap/rotor/coil/ignition/distributor is an excellent unit. It is incredibly reliable, with the only caveat being that the rubber gasket under the cap should be replaced every few years (the gasket is common at the Toyota dealerships, and only $3 USD).

You will need to take a look at the shop manual for the US cars to determine what wires to move over from your harness... you will need to move 3 or 4 wires.

This same ignition is used on much higher revving engines, in Japan. It is an excellent unit. Elegant, sealed, self contained.

These distributors are easy to locate here, in the States... if you want me to score you one from a salvage yard, let me know (I am sure shipping would be more expensive than the dizzy itself).

- Teddy
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

My coil is fine. I want more amps going into that spark. If they make aftermarket coils over in JDM that will fit, I want it. I do like the compactness, I do like how everything is located on the engine, and I like how it just looks different. I would like better amps though.

I've seen thinner spark leads on a Supra 7M-GE.

Most of the stuff I look at is considered a waste of time, stupid, pointless, and a money-hole by others. Why make a stationwagon more aerodynamic? Well, lets see... Your leg is cruelly mishappen in an accident. It is allowed to heal in the impractical, screwy way. They can fix it, and bring your life back closer to normal, but it will take time and money. Nah, f' it. Its screwy, and theres nothing I should do to improve it.
Maybe a bad analogy, but the point is that science and technology would get nowhere if someone looked at something and said, "It's within 40% of what I can get it to with a little more funding. Thats good."

Before I get to ranting, some people will do things in their own way. If someone wants to retrofit an older, seperate coil system in, thats what they want.
It also has a bit to do with aftermarket want.

Our engines have 62 horsepower. Thats not great, so screw it. Lets not put better carbs on them. Better manifolds. Better filters. Just not worth the time or effort..... Right?
Our engines in stock format can go for over 300,000 miles. Thats reliable to me. Why do something that will bring that up to 500,000 miles?
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew