Electronic Ignition

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Aussie_3ASCV
Advanced Member

Post by Aussie_3ASCV »

Hey everyone just a question,

in my 84 terc 3a-c its running a standard distributor with a seperate coil and i find it a pain the the ass when it gets wet. Is it worth swapping to the electronic intergrated ignition that comes from the 87 terc? my mates got it on his. Its just an all in one package and it would seem to be alot better than a standard ignition. Also should i/can i change the coil to a Bosch GT or something a bit more high performance with a gruntier spark to get a more cleaner, powerful spark or is it not really worth it?
84 SR5, 4A, 75W Globes, CB Radio, Twin 13" Subs with Twin 750W Amps, Neons, 15" Enkei Rims Fitted With 215 65-15 Tyres, 200000Km on clock, GPS, Hood Scoop and plenty more to come. I love my terc
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Whatever your heart desires, go for it, mate!! :) :)
K-Business
Aussie_3ASCV
Advanced Member

Post by Aussie_3ASCV »

lol. so no ones done it yet then? oh well guess i better. i will try with the GT coil first and post some results then do the dizzy swap.
84 SR5, 4A, 75W Globes, CB Radio, Twin 13" Subs with Twin 750W Amps, Neons, 15" Enkei Rims Fitted With 215 65-15 Tyres, 200000Km on clock, GPS, Hood Scoop and plenty more to come. I love my terc
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Yep our ignition seems to be a little more basic compared to our american friends. I've taken some photo's (haven't posted yet... sorry) and this may be something we can work on.

I smothered my dist and coil with WD40 and no puddles seem to stop me now.

Did you say you were in perth?

When I was last there I saw a house just north of the Mt Lawley with 4 Tercel 4wd's in the yard!

catch ya later.. good luck and keep us posted
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

sometimes there are conversion kits so you can swap your point ignition system to a pointless electronic system. then you have one up on us, because you'll be abel to add aftermarket ignition coils to your system.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

We can.. Its just a little more difficult.. Whats to stop you from taking the supplies to the internal coil and routing them to an external coil? Maybe I'm just stupid..
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
OZ Rob

Post by OZ Rob »

Hi guy's

i have changed my point ignition system to a pointless electronic system
by taking of the dizzy from an imported Corona with a 3ac motor.

This is factory on them i think <_< had it running for about a year now with
no problem's. :ph34r:
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Do you remember what model Corona it was? It's good to have a wishlist for when i hit the wreckers up.

You got a weber on the beast yet Oz Rob?
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Aussie_3ASCV
Advanced Member

Post by Aussie_3ASCV »

hmmmm yeah aussies got ripped by toyota. well payday today so tommorow im off to buy that gt coil and i will give you guys some feedback. and yeah im in perth. in a white 84 terc with the music always loud in wanneroo area
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

i also have a 3ascv but it has a pointless ignition, i would looooooove to have a separaate coil, since i already have an msd ignition and coil
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
OZ Rob

Post by OZ Rob »

hi mattel

Will try and find the corona it's from and let you know and to answer your other question just bought a webber for the car today and will try and fit it soon :P
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I had gotten instructions from Crane at one point on how to disable the internal coil and replace it with an external. Just call them and ask about a conversion.
I can't remember exactly how to do it, but I do remember that whatever they said made good sense.
It had to do with removing the power supply from the internal coil and relocating it I believe. Hell, they probably have a diagram somewhere on their website.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

The 1988 and newer Honda Civics have a similar internal ignition coil. I think you should be able to find a "how to" online for adding an external coil to a Honda. The work required might be pretty similar. I think it was a popular mod on the Hondas before MSD made a special cap for external coils.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

shaodomeJanuary 18th, 2005, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE/]You cannot wire an external coil up without an external ignition box such as MSD or the like, you will have to have the modified cap for any external coil, and you can DIY it. The installation isnt difficult, call msd and they will send you the distributor conversion harness at no cost to you and if you follow the directions wireing is a snap. Pm me if you need any help, i have done a few MSD's on different cars includeing my probe.[/QUOTE]

Umm....yes you can. You just need to remove the connection to the internal coil and transfer over the wires....and of couse, the tower for the cap. Why would you do this though unless your internal coil went bad?

Thats from ProbeTalk.
Thats essentially what the guy told me from Crane, just can't remember the exact process he entailed.

<a href='http://jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf/DI ... SISTER.PDF' target='_blank'>http://jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf/DI ... TER.PDF</a>
For whatever logic a Nissan setup makes.

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Our Dizzy's have 2 plugs. One has a black striped line and solid black line, the other has a single solid blue line.
The blue line goes in and connects to a (-) post in the diz. I assume that the post belongs to the coil.
The solid black line goes in and connects to a small black covered aluminum box.
The striped line goes to a (resistor?) that is attached outside the dizzy normally. Out the other side of the (resistor?) is a solid brown line that attaches to the (+) post.
Also attached to the (+) is a red line that goes to the aluminum box.
Also attached to the (-) is a brown line that goes to the aluminum box.

What is the aluminum box? A ballast or something like that?

Which line comes off the internal for the external? I'd assume both.
If I have a properly working brain, Then it goes as such:
Remove the two brown lines from their corresponding posts, extend said lines out to an external coils posts. Remove the red line from the + post and extend it out to the external coil output. If my uneducated self is thinking of this properly, the striped orange is a power line going in and providing power to the coil. (Based on that, I just wondered how the input post could be the output post...)
Okay, well, I just screwed over my own thought process. I thought the red line was the power output line, but it is on the same spot as would be the power input.
FURTHER EXAMINATION!!!
I'll post once I further disassemble.