Another Weber question

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

I'm currently bidding on a Weber 32/36 DGV Carb. As you know, this has a manual choke on it. I'm wondering if it is possible to modify it into a DGEV or DGAV by adding on the automatic choke components?

I was looking at maybe bidding on these parts here:
<a href='http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Weber-Ca ... enameZWDVW' target='_blank'>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Weber-Ca ... meZWDVW</a>

I don't mind the idea of a manual choke; its just if I ever lend my car to someone, they may have troubles with it.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
warbstrd
Top Notch Member

Post by warbstrd »

email sender and verify the shipping cost...i didnt see one
Dirtmagnet
Advanced Member
My tercel:: Two 1983 4wd SR5's, One Lifted; 1986 Deluxe Auto, All with Webers

Post by Dirtmagnet »

I'm not totally sure, but I think you can add the automatic choke. In my research on the carbs, I remember seeing something about this. I will look through my stuff.

I know they make the kit to go from auto to manual choke.
Once your over the hill, you just pick up speed. <><
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Thanks for the input guys. I've decided the price is low enough I'm going to bid anyhow. If it doesnt work, no big loss.

I'm going to have to do some more research as well to see if I can figure out more about the choke interchangeability.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Lateer
Top Notch Member

Post by Lateer »

No, you can't add an automatic choke later.

The DGAV/DGEV has a different set of pins and lugs on the outside if the carburetor that allow the automatic chokes to work. There are a couple of different brackets as well.

However, manual choke isn't such a bad thing. It just means you've got to keep an eye on your temperature gauge.

You *can* go from automatic to manual with a kit, but that doesn't give you any fast idle, which is essential for our engines. Mine doesn't, and I have to keep my foot on the throttle to make sure the engine doesn't stall out when it's damn cold.

Sorry to be so negative, but see if you can get a DGEV. That's the easiest carb in the world to swap to our cars. The DGAV requires a line off the water pump so it can use the heat to gauge how much to open and close the throttle. The DGV needs a cable put through the firewall and mounted somewhere where you can get at it easily. I found the hole opposite the light dimmer underneath the steering wheel to be the best place.
1983 Tercel SR5 with 185/75R14 tyres, 32/36 DGAV Weber carburetor, lumpy cam and upgraded Pioneer sound system. Veteran of several fire seasons (with the scars to show it) and known as "The Racing Turtle"
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Lateer wrote: No, you can't add an automatic choke later.

The DGAV/DGEV has a different set of pins and lugs on the outside if the carburetor that allow the automatic chokes to work. There are a couple of different brackets as well.

However, manual choke isn't such a bad thing. It just means you've got to keep an eye on your temperature gauge.

You *can* go from automatic to manual with a kit, but that doesn't give you any fast idle, which is essential for our engines. Mine doesn't, and I have to keep my foot on the throttle to make sure the engine doesn't stall out when it's damn cold.

Sorry to be so negative, but see if you can get a DGEV. That's the easiest carb in the world to swap to our cars. The DGAV requires a line off the water pump so it can use the heat to gauge how much to open and close the throttle. The DGV needs a cable put through the firewall and mounted somewhere where you can get at it easily. I found the hole opposite the light dimmer underneath the steering wheel to be the best place.
Thanks Lateer. Well, I've already bidded on the DGV and am currently winning, so I think I'll just stick with it. I don't mind at all installing a manual choke. It think I'll like it, and I don't lend out my car much, so I guess I don't have to worry much. My wife has owned a Starlet KP61 before that had a manual choke, so I don't have to worry about her either.

Thanks for your reply.

Nick
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73