Downey's Conversation

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Well, I'm trying to pick up Teddy's ball. I called Downey, talked with the manager for about 50 minutes about how much he adored the little car they made for the photo shoots. Says he even launched it 6 feet into the air and came down gently with no problem. "These cars are a shit-load tougher than I think Toyota EVER thought they were." As per his opinion.
Well, I have the number for the company I'd need to contact for the springs. I'd have to remove a spring from my front strut on the crashed Blue and a rear coil to send in.
We'd need a number of around 20 kits signed and ready to be paid for to make this thing happen.
KYB used to make the Nitrogen shocks/struts for the old kit. Bilstein could likely pick up the process.
The old springs had a 20% heavier coil rate with roughly 2 inches of lift.
This would likely be a ONE TIME SHOT. Meaning that we'd get the number we order at the time. Thats says that if a few people come along in a few months wanting some, they could not have just a few packages made. That means that we would have to overbuy and keep stock, available for personal sales at our own mark-ups.
It is the man at Downey's opinion that this would make one "Kick-ass rally package."

Well, I need to get some more research done and let you all know whats going on in this realm.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Santa Fe Springs is about 10 miles away from where I live. I could go talk to them (I don't know when) and try to see what else I can get from them. Much more cheaper than calling from Colorado, don't you think?
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

They have nothing on the lift kit. No plans, no drawings, nothing.

You remember the Ski Wagons logo cartoon? The manager told me Downey spent $1000 having that professionally drawn. Shame it disappeared.

I forgot to ask about the bullbar, the hitch, or what have you. Just give them a call. If its long distance for you I'll do it. I have a max of $25 fee for long distance every month, and I've probably already reached it, so I'll either give them another buzz or you can try it out.

Also, you could ask if they really did make a header or whathaveyou in the performance department.

He gave me the number at which to contact the people to ask about making a batch of coils.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Typrus, if that doesn't work out, try the link I gave in Lifting a Terk.
<a href='http://www.otto-max.com/index.html' target='_blank'>http://www.otto-max.com/index.html</a>. Then contact them and ask them if they could make a batch of 1-8" lift springs, for our little Terks, for a group buy. They have a superior product at a competitive price. Check them out, dude!!
K-Business
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Typrus wrote: They have nothing on the lift kit. No plans, no drawings, nothing.

You remember the Ski Wagons logo cartoon? The manager told me Downey spent $1000 having that professionally drawn. Shame it disappeared.

I forgot to ask about the bullbar, the hitch, or what have you. Just give them a call. If its long distance for you I'll do it. I have a max of $25 fee for long distance every month, and I've probably already reached it, so I'll either give them another buzz or you can try it out.

Also, you could ask if they really did make a header or whathaveyou in the performance department.

He gave me the number at which to contact the people to ask about making a batch of coils.
I'll give them (Downey) a call on Monday. I found a telephone number for Skiwagons, I'll try calling but it's probably going to be disconnected. I'll ask them about the carbs, header, and anything that's on the brochure.

$1000??!! I'm glad I had a classmate draw me a Tercel for free! I believe Big Deal made that drawing and that person has a website and it might be on there.

I wonder if they have more pictures of the '83... if they do, that could be an aid in doing restorations.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I called Jim today, he's a very friendly guy. He told me that the Rally kit was short-lived and that he only was able to sell the few prototypes (that included the trailer hitch, brush guard, the KYB shocks, and the oversized wheels which were all part of making this Tercel bad arse) he had made and he also mentioned that Downey offered a ski rack which I'm assuming wasn't included in the brochure and some stickers and stuff like that. The picture was taken somewhere in San Diego, CA. He said they drove it like they would drive a Jeep and that they were able to go airborne and do all sorts of stuff with the Tercel 4WD prototype and he also told me what he told Typrus. After he was done with it the car was crushed along with his modifications. All of this stuff took place months before the official release of the Tercel.

At first he didn't recall about the side-draft carbs and the header and Downey didn't make them but then towards the end of my conversation he said he did see them once but the company that made those carbs are out of business and he didn't know who made the header.

I didn't finish my conversation with him because he was busy so I'll call him later this week. I learned a lot today about manufacturing and how Toyota works. So, when I finish my conversation I'll finish describing what he told me.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

He is a nice guy. I hope we aren't bothering him too much lol.
CRUSHED? WHAT THE F^(K? Thats not right... Remotely...
Next time you talk to him, put in a word for the forum eh? Maybe you could request he make a writeup of what he's told us so we Tercel4wders don't keep bothering him lol.

Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

((((bump!)))) :)
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I finished my conversation and I'm working on a joint write-up. I learned some more. In the write-up there's going to be a section on "crusher cars".
lllmoparlll

Post by lllmoparlll »

very nice information guys. If you guys get the lift happening for the tercel, i am for sure DOWN to buy one....i just need to know the price. haha