Tires

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Typrus wrote: I have 2 sets of rims available for use, so I dunno why I don't get winters and summers... Oh wait- $$$
What I'd be worried about with a Blizzak is buying half a Snow tire. I've heard they are the undisputed king of snow tires in the first half of their treadlife (the spongey, soft compound) but then just an average all-season the last bit.
But the tires have a warrenty for a good whil (isn't it 60,000?) so if they did go out that fast, I'd personally apply for a free new set.
Have your parents pay for the snows! :D

I haven't experienced half worn out Blizzaks yet, but they're getting close to that point. I don't see why they'd be any worse than other snow tires worn to the same point. I guess I'll find out.

Most tire warranties or pro-rated. You only get your replacements partially paid for. So if a 60k tire is worn out at 30k, they'll give you something like 50% off the new ones.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Typrus wrote: So I guess that leaves- Just how detrimental would a 185 be to ice/snow handling? Is it worth the dry-road stability? Is there any dry-road stability?
Is the tire too wide for a 5 inch rim?
I'd go with the 70s...not so sure about the tread width vs snow handling thing...I'd say a sticky tread compound matters more...not sure you can find a 185/70/13...maybe the stock 70 series size?

Not all Kumhos are the same tire...mine are the Ecsta 716s 60 series...that use a max 44 PSI. But I'd sooner take a chance on any Kumho than one I don't have reviews on.

And as far as the reviews...some people complained of sloppy handling, etc...and didn't have the sense to increase their tire pressures.

You can check the SPECS area at tirerack for each tire...you'll find specific info like max pressure and rim widths.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Thats when you read the sidewall...
Our Excursion has 85PSI tires on it. Stocks were 55. So we brought it to the dealership and they aired them to 55. We almost flipped on the way home.
Too many people are total idjits and completely rely on the info in their glovebox/ on their gas door. Thats info FOR THE STOCK TIRES. NOT for a different manufacturer.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Oh yeah, the same tire as I posted earlier comes in a 185/70.
My folks don't want to pay for my new tires in any sense. They keep urging me to find a job and pay for them myself. Well, I'm trying, but even McDonalds didn't hire me. Thats sad.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Typrus wrote: My folks don't want to pay for my new tires in any sense.
Check out this website....

<a href='http://www.myenergycel.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.myenergycel.com/</a>

Need to dig into the installation manuals.....the .pdf files. Look for the mpg gains for the Powerstrokes. They'll save so much in diesel fuel that they'll be happy to buy you some tires.... B)
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Thats the 12th product like that I've seen, but this one is the most professional looking so far. I know nobody in RL who has one, but the testimonials seem all to be in the same ballpark for gains.
Must be something to them.

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

You don't just want to buy the first one you see for sure.....

Check this out?

United States Patent 5,271,369

<a href='http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/srchnum.htm' target='_blank'>http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/srchnum.htm</a>

look for the fleet tests and emissions results....

...you could make one of these for $5.....

Download InternetTIFF to see the diagrams.....

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Have you tried one of these magnet things?
Where are the diagrams?

A 40% increase? I'd like to accuse that of being total BullSh17 but if the patent office is stating it, it must have some sort of official testing behind it.
Holy crap... Pushing 26 mpg in a 8000lb vehicle would kick ass... Especially when you pay $2.649 for a gallon of diesel >.<

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I just took the magnets off of a hard drive, split each of the 2 into thirds, have 1 set on my car in an opposing config (either - to - or + to +) and then 1 set with +/- and another repeller further downstream on my moms Passat. We'll see what it does to mileage if anything at all.
If my mom comes to me wondering how I made her car get 50-55 mpg average, THEN maybe I'll tell her and ask her for more powerful magnets and a proper setup.

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Well....depends on the gauss ratings for those magnets....just keep them away from anything electrical.

To try them out your best bet might be to put all 3 sets on one car..on a rubber line only...in series...attracting each other.

The big ceramics that you can get from Radio Shack work pretty well.

Diesels require maybe 2xs the magnets.

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

The rectangles?
The HD magnets pulled my screwdriver from my hand, but were very brittle.
Would you recommend rectangle or round?
Why attract versus repel? And do you mean a +/- setup on all 3?
Where on our cars could they go? Would it not get too hot on the supply line from the pump to the carb? Don't want to demagnetize the magnets nor significantly decrease their strength and longevity.
Maybe 2 just off the tank, then 1 on the pre-pump rubber, then 2 on the final supply?
How to cancel the attraction of ferrous dust and things like that? Will just that fuel line on the outside do it? How do you get the magnets properly placed inside the outer shield without them cross-attracting?
The initial product you suggested used 3 magnets repelling each other I believe. Why repel versus attract, or vice versa? Is 1, 2, 3, or maybe 4 most effective?
Radio shack sells packs of 1 or 5. If you bought the 5-pack, use the 5th magnet on the fuel filter to attract metal flakes that wouldn't get filtered?

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Typrus wrote: Would you recommend rectangle or round?
You have a message.....

Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

Comments on the whole lot of topics, for what it's worth....

I am on my 3rd pair of Kumhos, and for the price you couldn't get me to buy anything else. 1st pair was on my 81 Celica, probably got close to 40 thou on em, with occasional rotation and driving hard. 2nd pair my 88 Camry, 2 of em lasted about 50 thou, 2 ate cement. 3rd pair is on the Terc, 185/60/14's, just put em on, paid under $150 w/o mounting and stuff (did that at the shop). Good sidewall rigidity, we'll see how long they last. I did have a pair of Uniroyals 175/70/13 for my winter tires, used em for about 8 mo's for the last 2 years, and before that used them on my old 82 Tercel for probably a year. They aren't that sticky in the summer, but they still had close to 1/2 tread left when I gave em to a buddy of mine. The real killer of tire is alignment issues, probably what the 7000 mile whiner had....

Tire pressure recomendations, as far as what your car tells you to run, is not tire specific, to some extent. There are exceptions for different tire sizes and types, but that psi rating is for what the car itself was designed to run. A stiffer tire, while improving mileage and such, also means larger forces on the suspension components, mounting means, and general vehicle frame-type-things. I run my tires at 30/32psi (cold pressure), but that is due to my desire to save on gas. If something breaks (although not likely at the slight increase), I will chalk it up as my own stupid fault.

And finally, as far as the magnet-fuel thing goes, let me give you one thing to think about. Car companies are not stupid. If they could integrate a simple device, one that has been around for years, that would allow them to boast that they have a vehicle that gets whatever-ridiculous-mileage-increase above the competition, don't you think they would? And just because there is a patent pending/approved doesn't really mean diddly/squat. Save your $5 and put it in your tank, it would gain me an extra 40 miles over not having it in my tank.

Sorry if I seem a little snippy, I am just going crazy from working in a 100+ degree shop, and having idiots show up and try to tell me, the mechanic, what is wrong/best for their car. And I can't even laugh in their faces....

Fingers
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

They may very well incorporate something in to meet the 07 standards. Maybe that'll be part of how the trucks plan to meet diesel emissions standards. Which makes me wonder how these things would effect diesel fuel's lubricity... Hmmm...
I personally think that the answer for just insane mileage is an absolute no. We have the technology to make a 140 hp engine in a 3000lb car get 60 mpg. And thats a gasser. And not a gas/electric hybrid. Just a gasser.
VW has a diesel/electric hybrid coming out that'll kick the shit out of the gas/electrics, but still won't be as efficient as it could be.
Using the computize technology that we have the car itself could base fueling patterns, amounts, timing, when to run 1 cyl or 6 cyl's, if the AWD is necessary at the exact moment... There are so many things that could be included, that engineers may even include in the original designs but the accountants "edit" down.
For an additional $4 a car, Ford could have put a special liner inside the Pinto's fuel tank that prevented puncture and leakage. In fact, in the model that got safety tested, it WAS included. But the accountants decided it wasn't necessary. Now what happens when you hit the back of a Pinto? BOOM. Just a few $$ a car could have saved lives, property costs, mental trauma/physical trauma, and I bet the Pinto would've kept on selling for a good bit of time.

Could Toyota have put airbags in our cars? Yes. The $$-mongerers decided it was not needed. How about a rear shoulder-strap setup? How about TBI injection? Better lighting? A rollbar built in?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Could fuel companies convert to a significant amount of bio-fuel sales, which would benefit the environment among other things? Yes. That doesn't mean a full conversion to bio-fuels. It'd be hard to procure that much growing land. But could they do it? Yes. Something you grow in a few months, grab off the surface of the earth, ship across the country versus something that took millenia to develop, is hundreds/thousands of feet under the earth or ocean typically, has to be shipped around the world...
$$ $$ $$ $$ $$ $$ $$ $$

In the eyes of a greedy idiot, $0.05/per car is equal to $5 saved in 100 cars. Going to be just a few more than 100 cars made. Using that logic.. How much do the mileage-mobiles like the Geo's were, and the baseline Civics are, cost? Cheap. Not a lot at all. They tend to be bare-boned machines meant for timid economy. Sure, the Prius and the TDI Jetta are mileage-fiends, but they are also something "different" so by sellers logic must cost more.

Lets just assume a $0.05 accessory was put on all Tercels in 1986. Pull 300,000 out, and by that point, $15,000 has now been spent on the accessory that will likely be looked on as useless to an accountant. Sure, they could jack the price up a few $, but what if the Subaru looks a little more appealing because of that few $ strike-up on the Terc? And that aside, how many more cars could be bought MSRP for $15,000? Almost 2 of the highest package available in 83.
Sure, seems pointless and moronic, but that seems to be how it works.

BTW, check out http://www.mundi.com

shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

well after trying about a dozen types of tyres in my 15 inch rims i can say that hands down the hankook ventus sport k104 are the best buy for the money, grippy, good tread wear, and very good stability at high tempratures
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come