Banzai Wagon

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
White Lightning

Post by White Lightning »

Here is the wagon when purchased (last fall) : a bone-stock '87 2WD.

It still looked like that on Friday, but I spent last Saturday "pimping" my wife's ride. All mods were done in one day!

1987 Tercel Wagon 2WD (Banzai Wagon), 1986 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 1994 Freightliner FL70 5-ton>Chilliwack, British Columbia
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

<span style='font-family:Arial'><span style='color:blue'>Awesome job, White Lightning!!!!! My questions, though, are as follows:
1) How did you get the bumper that silver color and polish them, etc? What did
you add to the front bumper to make it look more like a body kit? What was
the brand, model and part or model number of that part? Is it heavy-duty, or
something? You know, for off-road use and the like?
2) What are the make and model of the tires and rims you used, and what size
are they?
3) What is the make and model of the rear spoiler used and what is the size of
it when you ordered it?
4) How was the paint job done, and how did you get that asian writing on it?
Your next step to pimping it is this:
1) Get custom or universal rear quarter window louvers, if any, and install them.
2) Add neon lights and get custom lenses, front clear corners and rear clear
taillamp lenses.
3) Add a Toyota 4AGE 20V Silvertop Engine and add a remanufactured Toyota
4AGZE 20V Silvertop Supercharger
4) Add a nitrous system, etc.

I think you get the gist of what I'm talking about.</span></span> :rolleyes: :) :D B)
K-Business
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Nice looking car!

You don't exactly 'add' a 20 valve silvertop engine. Well you can, but the adding is just the easy part of a complicated project.
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

the fornt bumpre is niiiice man, good work, now just lower it a bit the sport kit from eibach for the ae86 will work on the car
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

EXCELLENT job, overall ! ! !
What was the procedure on painting the bumpers, and what is the source for the front dam?
Again - GREAT work - I must add it to my list.
Thanks !
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
clbolt
Top Notch Member

Post by clbolt »

Based on one of my other cars, I'd guess the front spoiler came from a Volvo 240.
xaserII

Post by xaserII »

i hate it... how are you supposed to go out in the desert in that thing. you cant even drive in the snow. ugh what farse...
i do appreciate the work though just not the design.
remember tercel4wd.com
total chick car. <_<
x
*edit* eh its cool man i love the paint and the contrast with the tint. forget what i said before.
good job
x
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Something I've always wondered, when people put Japanese writing on a car, do they even know what it says? :lol:

I like the tint and the front air dam. The rest... :wacko:
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Interesting tale about Japanese calligraphy on a car:
A former employee back in the mid-80s was a 510 nut, having had a few that he rodded (archaic term, no?) and fixed up for autocross (IRS was stock). He found some writing in the engine bay that looked particularly aggressive and copied it onto his competition helmet .
It was sitting in our parking lot with the helmet ensconced on the dash. We saw an Asian woman look at the car, then at the helmet, and then she burst into laughter. When she entered the store she enquired as to the owner. When Mark proudly claimed ownership, she asked if he knew that he was telling people to "Always use a 180 degree thermostat"....
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

ARCHINSTL wrote: Interesting tale about Japanese calligraphy on a car:
A former employee back in the mid-80s was a 510 nut, having had a few that he rodded (archaic, no?) and fixed up for autocross (IRS was stock). He found some writing in the engine bay that looked particularly aggressive and copied it onto his competition helmet .
It was sitting in our parking lot with the helmet ensconced on the dash. We saw an Asian woman look at the car, then at the helmet, and then she burst into laughter. When she entered the store she enquired as to the owner. When Mark proudly claimed ownership, she asked if he knew that he was telling people to "Always use a 180 degree thermostat"....
Tom M.
That's great! :lol: :D
White Lightning

Post by White Lightning »

In answer to your questions / comments:

Terceldude 1) The front "chin spoiler" is from (good eye, clbolt!) is from a 240 series Volvo. It fit on with only a bit of trimming and a little help from a heat gun on the outside edges to help it contour to the car. It is quite a strong piece, and only sits about 1/2" lower than the "stock" spoiler, which is still on the car.
It, along with the bumper covers, were then sanded, primed and painted with a color match spray bomb (Toy Silver) from Canadian Tire.
2) The wheels I saw in the back of a guys p/u, and when I showed interest he said "I think they're 4 X 100, I'll take $75 for them." Sold. The tire size is 195/50R15. The rear fenders had to be rolled out a bit.
3) The rear spoiler is off a early '90 (?) Sunbird GT, or some such crap. It was black and had some cracks in the fiberglass, but some spot putty and "Toy Silver" took care of that. I could go back to the junkyard and find the exact make and model, if anyone really cares, but I fear going into the "domestic side", it's creepy there :unsure: !
4)The Japanese text is a vinyl decal which I had made at a local graphics shop.

xaserII: Yes, it IS a total chick car... its my wife's. Also, I wish I could have made the front spoiler lower, in order to plow the snow which we get here in Canada 11 1/2 months a year. Anyways, I'm sorry I couldn't join "Tercel2WD.com", but I hope you'll let me stay!! :blink: :D

Gasoline Fumes: The text says "Namaki Hitotsuoboe Jinmirai" which, loosely translated, means "Greenwood (my last name) remembered eternally". It is a tribute to the brother and two sisters which I have recently lost. Sorry, nothing about thermostats here... I hope!

I've got a bit more work to do on it, I'll post more pics, of course. Thanks to everone for the kind words and comments. This site has been vry helpful and inspirational to the little project!

Thanks again!
1987 Tercel Wagon 2WD (Banzai Wagon), 1986 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 1994 Freightliner FL70 5-ton>Chilliwack, British Columbia
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

> White Lightning <

Thank YOU !

Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

I like it!

good job!
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
clbolt
Top Notch Member

Post by clbolt »

I've picked up enough of those front spoilers at the junkyard to recognize them. My first Volvo 240 was missing it entirely, so I had to find a good one. Since then I've picked up good ones to resell.

The best part about using one on a Tercel is that the little end tabs wouldn't be used, so condition wouldn't be as important. That was a great application for that spoiler.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

White Lightning eh?
PLEASE do not do neon's and all the "Ricer" crap... And for the love of Tercel's, no Fart Cannon exhaust!!
A good friend of mine has a Ford Powerstroke truck named White Lightning running 13.7 sec quarter's at 7500 feet above sea. Non-corrected.

I really like how that looks! I'd choose some different rims personally, but ANYTHING is better than steel stockers >.<... Well, almost anything.

That spoiler was a fairly good choice in my opinion! Not too out of place, and not something out of the "Rice-Rocket Hall of Idiots" pages. Very nice indeed!

I want that front dam.....

I wish my paint was that shiny >.<

You could do a RWD Corolla drivetrain conversion... But if you live in snow country, then maybe you could do a 4wd conversion? Not impossible, and leaves opportunity to convert the 4wd system to Independant rear Suspension.

A 4A-GE wouldn't be a horrible choice by any stretch... Would just take some reinforcement of key componants. Not entirely sure of all what in just a FWD system, though the tranny would be high on the list IMO. Maybe 20v will chime in?

Very nice indeed! Let us know what else you do to it!
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew