Parts wanted, 86 tercel kestrel project

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Jamminfargo
My tercel:: 86 Tercel 4WD SR5

Parts wanted, 86 tercel kestrel project

Post by Jamminfargo »

Ok so over the top or not, I'm going to dub my tercel the Kestrel. So I'm corny...life is too short or too long (depending on how you look at it) to be serious.

Looking for a fuel pump gasket - or advice on what material to make it out of.

I need two of the little metal corner trim pieces for the windshield.

6 of the little grommet inserts with the head to secure the back hatch trim piece (color is dark blue) or someone tell me this is anal and I should just suck it up and buy new black ones at Oreillys or Autozone

The little tiny knob on the trip odometer stalk on the instrument cluster

Passenger side interior cover trim over the top area covering the tail light access...access panel? was gray but trim has yellowed with age.

Dark blue access panel covering the back up light viewed from the inside of the car...dark blue

And both of my front fenders are pretty dinged up...minor dings but probably not cost effective to have a body shop straighten out. Only thinking if the fenders are real cheap and freight isnt a ton I would need these. I can sort of bang them back into shape but they will not look nice.

Will post photos if need be...

Have a great weekend whats left of it 8)
From the South but in Fargo because wife found her dream job
86 Tercel SR5 4WD (couldnt wait for that perfect rust free 22RE 4runner)
03 Mercury Marauder sold 4/5. In mourning
03 Altima 2.5SL (wifes cruiser)
Jamminfargo

Re: Parts wanted, 86 tercel kestrel project

Post by Jamminfargo »

pics of wanted parts

Started on the rust repair on the rear fenderwell as the weather was actually nice here for a change
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5, stock; 1987 T4WD DLX wagon, manual tranny

Post by garyfish »

Jamminfargo wrote: Looking for a fuel pump gasket - or advice on what material to make it out of.
hmmmmm... thought it would be easy to find an aftermarket fuel pump gasket by searching online... but nooooooooo :|

come to find out that, apparently, the fuel pump gaskets are attached to the plastic heat shield (also called the insulator, or the spacer)... OEM part number 23915-15011 -- none are currently available on RockAuto.com but there's some on eBay and they might also be available at your local discount auto parts store like O'Reilly's or AutoZone
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0 ... 11&_sop=15
https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=41166#p41166

looks like the Fel-Pro # 70156 gasket might work, but I'd check to make sure it fits before buying
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... word=70156
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, 300K
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

ask for oil resistant gasket material at your local parts store
can make a metal punch out of tubing or pipe or whatever with right sized hole
grind outside to sharpen it
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Jamminfargo

Post by Jamminfargo »

Thanks for the advice...tried Oreillys but didnt have the part number...will try them and Autozone and if that fails I will try Corwin Toyota and if all else fails xirdnehs plan of attack.

So all you folks with parts cars arent wanting to part with the window trim or the other doo dads?

Found that the lil thump thump sound coming from the front passenger side of the car was actually a flat spot on one of the tires on the left rear...way weird. Have a new tire getting mounted tomorrow and will put the take off tire/spare on a 15" steelie 4x100 I picked up today at the local salvage yard. OMG are they a pain in the arse to deal with. No PickUparts in these parts...just 2 jackass salvage yards that try to charge retail until you tell them thanks but no thanks and then they come out chasing you with slightly less ridiculous prices.

Hooked up with a couple local Jeep forum guys and will hopefully get to go play at a local privately owned place known as "the farm" where they have hills and mud pits and a "rock garden" they go crawling over.

Supposed to be in the 70's here tomorrow and thats the first warm day here since ummmm probably September...may play hooky in the afternoon and goof off in the garage. Tis a shame there isnt another Tercel owner around to share a cold brew with.

Used a dremel and dug out the rusted area in front of the drivers side rear wheel well and painted it inside and out with Naval jelly. Will give Bondo a whirl. I do a lot of wood working and oddly enough the restoration of old wood is very similar to playing with metal.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Jamminfargo wrote:OMG are they a pain in the arse to deal with. No PickUparts in these parts...just 2 jackass salvage yards that try to charge retail until you tell them thanks but no thanks and then they come out chasing you with slightly less ridiculous prices.
yesterday i went looking at the local wreckers for a distributor for my wife's civic vx. the only place close by that had one is notorious for terrible prices but i went anyway because i needed the part. got there, the guy at the counter quoted me $225 which is about twice what i had intended to pay. i said i was going to make some phone calls and let him know. i went out to my car and called two wreckers about an hour from me. one quoted me $150, the other $125. just as i got off the phone, a second counter guy walked by and asked if i was pricing out a new one. i said no, that i was calling other wreckers to compare. he asked what they quoted me, i told him, and he said to come back in and that they would give it to me for $125. he told the first parts guy about the difference in price and seemed genuinely annoyed with him, i imagine he was pissed the first guy was scaring away customers with ridiculous prices. the first guy was a little sheepish after that, and i left very pleased that i saved myself $100 by just making a few phone calls. i'll still try to avoid the place though.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

A lot of times wreckers will adjust their price if you challenge them like that. The normal price if half of new, but usually they don't even know what that price is.
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5, stock; 1987 T4WD DLX wagon, manual tranny

Post by garyfish »

new driver's side front fender on eBay for $89.13 (free shipping)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-1986-Toyot ... 54076cca3c
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, 300K
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

On the j yard subject pick and pull has raised there prices over and over it makes me angry that they have gone "corporate" there is no more bargaining the price is the price.
And you can't even put it back for someone elce if you don't buy they make you throw it in a recycle barrel :x
I guess my prices are still better than 125 for a dissy :shock:
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Recently three of us Corolla 4wd wagon owners in Melbourne bought a car between us for $300 that had been in an accident and divided up the parts. and basically removed everything on it including roof, doors, hatch etc. and sent the wreck to the metal recyclers. Between us now we have a whole set of parts should something go wrong. None of us have the space for a whole car of spares but between us we can help each other out should we need.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
florykitty
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5,85 Toyota Tercel 4wd SR5,86 Toyota Tercel 4wd SR5 complete for parts,81Toyota tercel SR5 liftback old school

Post by florykitty »

this is gon be the way to go,i better buy a whole car for parts cheep then go to J yard and pay $40 box for mirror assembly ,etc.J yard they become nasty here too in idaho no negotation price and if you dont want the parts cause of high price they throw it in recycle barrel,i dont get it so they rather throw something then accept my price offer.