new member in Fargo w 86 4WD SR5

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Jamminfargo
My tercel:: 86 Tercel 4WD SR5

new member in Fargo w 86 4WD SR5

Post by Jamminfargo »

Hi all
First time owner of a Tercel and first timer to a 4WD vehicle too. It has about 190K miles and runs pretty decent. Silver w/blue interior. Bought it to replace a minivan I use as a daily driver and light work truck. I carry tools around and sometimes lumber and what not. Hoping this will also be a fun toy that I can drive year round up here in the frozen north. I have an 03 Marauder with some nice mods but I'm tired of looking at it in the garage waiting for sunny days to go play so it's going to get sold once it thaws here.

OK so...she has a little rust with only one bad spot by the left rear wheel arch. Thinking it won't be a huge issue to remedy that. One or two rather minor dings but other than that it looks pretty straight.

Issues I see so far...
-The valve cover looks to have a bit of a slow leakage going on especially up front adjacent to the timing belt cover. Could be a lot of blow by and I will get to compression checks later this week I hope. With the age of the car I'm thinking of an oil catch can rather than routing it up into the air cleaner...any suggestions?
-Previous owner has put new Firestone Winterforce tires on the 14" stock rims with some stock honda hubcaps. Works for now I guess but I've been reading the forums regarding rims and tire option. I like the idea of a small lift (1 or 2 inches if it doesnt monkey up the CV joints) and then 15" steelies or whatever with better street tires. Craigslist rocks for rims and tires.
-P.O. also recently did the exhaust from the cat back but I'm interested in adding a header to let it breath a bit better and dont know how that will work with stock exhaust. I've had Spitfires and a Midget in the past and those sound awesome with just an old fashioned non restrictive bullet muffler but never had to deal with the convertor on those. I will do some reading here on exhausts but again, suggestions would rock.
-The front lower air dam (or whatever that lower plastic piece is called) is sort of trashed and I'd like to replace that with some sort of one piece brush guard and lower plate assy. I see them on pickups and 4Runners a lot and I'm hoping I can source something similar to fit the Tercel even if it takes a little fabrication. Any suggestions here would be appreciated. I have a small trailer hitch on it that will be coming off so if anyone has a brush guard to get rid of maybe we could work something out?
-One of the dings up front is in the headlight corner area and the bezel is cracked and part is missing. Will need to source one of those.
-Oh and the paint is really faded and dull with white powdery areas. Hoping it will buff out but kinda doubtful on that. May get creative with a rattle can but that can wait til the rust issues are dealt with.

I enjoy these forums and was very active with the Mercury Marauder folks so I hope to get to know you folks better and maybe meet up with a few if anyone lives up this way

Have a great day and weekend!
GO NDSU BISON (love march madness :P )
John
From the South but in Fargo because wife found her dream job
86 Tercel SR5 4WD (couldnt wait for that perfect rust free 22RE 4runner)
03 Mercury Marauder sold 4/5. In mourning
03 Altima 2.5SL (wifes cruiser)
Jamminfargo

Re: new member in Fargo w 86 4WD SR5

Post by Jamminfargo »

Oh yeah...one other thing. The parking brake light is on even when disengaged (it does work tho). I am driving down to Sioux Falls to drive it home Sunday and will post pictures then and update this with more info
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum Jamminfargo,

you came to the right place to learn about fix'in your Tercel4wd. Make sure you go read the FAQ section to learn about what to check on a just purchased Tercel4wd.

I will address your issues below
Jamminfargo wrote: -The valve cover looks to have a bit of a slow leakage going on especially up front adjacent to the timing belt cover. Could be a lot of blow by and I will get to compression checks later this week I hope. With the age of the car I'm thinking of an oil catch can rather than routing it up into the air cleaner...any suggestions?
one of the most common places for oil leaks is the valve cover gasket, best replace it if it is all brittle and cracked (note: do not over tighten the valve cover nuts that hold it on, it will make it leak worse). other common leak areas are the distributor o-ring, the front main and cam seal, the oil pressure sender (behind the alternator), and the fuel pump gaskets. A catch can is not a bad idea either, some people use them, but I do not see how blow by will cause an oil leak. Check the compression just so you know the condition of the engine. but if you have too much blow by you will end up with oil in the airfilter, not on the outside of the block.
Jamminfargo wrote:-Previous owner has put new Firestone Winterforce tires on the 14" stock rims with some stock honda hubcaps. Works for now I guess but I've been reading the forums regarding rims and tire option. I like the idea of a small lift (1 or 2 inches if it doesnt monkey up the CV joints) and then 15" steelies or whatever with better street tires. Craigslist rocks for rims and tires.
I would use the tires you have for now, the car came with 13" steel wheels that were noticeably flexible, the 14" ones should be better. Going to 15" wheels will not necessarily get you more clearance because the tire dia you can use is limited because of the fender clearance. You can improve the clearance with a hammer and tin snips, but with out a lot of major cutting and welding, you will not beable to go very much larger dia tire. That means with a 15" wheel you will not have very tall side walls, okay for a street machine but if you drive gravel roads daily (like I do) you run the risk of side wall damage with such small side walls. I find 14x6 alloy wheels (both lighter and more stiff than steel wheels) with 195/60 tires is about as large as will fit, but this will improve handling and steering response notably. where you live you might consider having studded winter tires (also from craig's list, on any wheel with the 4x 100 mm bolt pattern), and some good street tires for summer driving.
Jamminfargo wrote:-P.O. also recently did the exhaust from the cat back but I'm interested in adding a header to let it breath a bit better and dont know how that will work with stock exhaust. I've had Spitfires and a Midget in the past and those sound awesome with just an old fashioned non restrictive bullet muffler but never had to deal with the convertor on those. I will do some reading here on exhausts but again, suggestions would rock.
Unless you want to custom make a header, there is not really anything available. there is an inexpensive Tercel header that shows up on e-bay every once in a while, but I hear it is not that good. It will also mean you will not have a heated manifold since the exhaust manifold has a means of heating the intake manifold in cold conditions to prevent carburetor icing (which is likely a problem in your part of the world at least half the time). So it is best to just replace the exhaust pipe from the exh. manifold back with 2 inch pipe. You are likely exempt from emission testing in your state in a car that old, so you can omit the cat converter (though federal law prohibits anyone from tampering with the emissions controls on any car, as a practical matter there is not enforcement if there is no inspections required).
Jamminfargo wrote:-The front lower air dam (or whatever that lower plastic piece is called) is sort of trashed and I'd like to replace that with some sort of one piece brush guard and lower plate assy. I see them on pickups and 4Runners a lot and I'm hoping I can source something similar to fit the Tercel even if it takes a little fabrication. Any suggestions here would be appreciated. I have a small trailer hitch on it that will be coming off so if anyone has a brush guard to get rid of maybe we could work something out?
Do you mean the plastic splash tray that goes under the radiator to the cross member? A good strong replacement would not be a bad idea. Be aware that if you drive on gravel roads if this pan is not in place pebbles and stones get kick up and caught in the fan belt and even the timing belt and cut the belts up. so it is a good idea to keep the pan in place.
Jamminfargo wrote:-One of the dings up front is in the headlight corner area and the bezel is cracked and part is missing. Will need to source one of those.
post pictures of what you need, likely someone has one (or two), or can get it locally. You can not buy most body parts new any longer, you will have to see what you can find in wrecking yards or off ebay sometimes.
Jamminfargo wrote:-Oh and the paint is really faded and dull with white powdery areas. Hoping it will buff out but kinda doubtful on that. May get creative with a rattle can but that can wait til the rust issues are dealt with.
most common problem is the clear coat on the hood and roof crack and peel, and that allows the color coat to fade and oxidize, making it very mottled looking compared to the sides. sometimes if not too bad you can touch up and clear coat it to improve appearance.

Before you take the car on the road for the trip home, top up all fluids, and particularly top up the trans gear oil (24 mm socket to remove the plug on the side of the front diff housing). running low can trash your transmission, and replacements and parts are hard to find. take good care of your transmission and it will last a long time, neglect it and it will blow up on you. In fact if it was not such a hassle I would suggest you drain the oil gear oil out of the trans and fill it with 4.1 quarts of new gear oil before you bring it home just so you will not harm it if the oil has never been changed. But topping it up is good enough until you get it home.

If your parking brake light is on than check your brake fluid level, it might be low. If very low you might need new brakes too. but that can wait until you get it home. You should change all of the fluids, including the brake, rear diff and trans/front diff oil when you get it home.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Welcome to the Club! This IS one of the most helpful (and certainly civil) clubs around!
An addendum to Petros' comment re the trans fluid: https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... 770#p74770
Be sure to check out the link in the preceding!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Jamminfargo

Post by Jamminfargo »

Thanks guys... Awesome advice! This place totally rocks :)

Just hit Oreilly's and picked up some gear oil (hope 90 weight works for the topoff if needed) and Tom- I'm only planning to locate the tranny fill plug tomorrow before the maiden voyage home. Is this the same as old 4 speeds where you know the transmission is full when it oozes out of the fill port?

The whole fluid change will have to wait til after the 4 hour cruise back. Will also toss in a can of Restore as the crackcase was a titch low on the dipstick when I checked it at the PO's house. Picked up some fuel system cleaner too.

Have a question regarding recommended oil weight. I'm fairly old school (aka I fart dust) and with my high mileage brit cars in the past I ran castrol 20w/50 which seemed to lower the oil consumption and kept the viscosity up a bit between oil changes. I'm thinking the mill may need a rebuild at some point because there was some blowby coming up into the air cleaner but nothing really too oily. I've seen some cars look like an oil gusher there.

I'm good with being gentle on the skinny pedal until I sort out the other issues- and to be honest, as long as the cylinder pressures are all roughly the same and it's not burning oil, I may just drive it for the time being without getting too crazy.

I will also check that front stabilizer before driving. Keeping my fingers crossed its ok as I don't have a trailer to drag it back up here if it's toast.

Has anyone tried the Miata rims on these? One fairly close to here getting parted out. I promise to start posting in proper threads once I have less than a million questions

Thanks again for the warm welcome and I'll post pics and some updates once she's back at my casa
John
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Welcome
Miata rims on member Gotoyota's car they look great.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/GotToyota/51.jpg
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Jamminfargo wrote:Just hit Oreilly's and picked up some gear oil (hope 90 weight works for the topoff if needed) and Tom- I'm only planning to locate the tranny fill plug tomorrow before the maiden voyage home. Is this the same as old 4 speeds where you know the transmission is full when it oozes out of the fill port?
That would be the way to go. Fill from the front left filler hole. Also, per the directions, loosen the rearmost filler plug 7-8 turns to permit fluid to pass into the transfer case area (it acts as sort of a plug when snug).
Jamminfargo wrote:Has anyone tried the Miata rims on these? One fairly close to here getting parted out.
GotToyota? has "Gen II" Miata rims; I have the less cool Gen I "Daisy" Miata wheels - they were easier for me to find in STL.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

just topping up the gear oil from the front diff side plug should be good enough (presuming this is the 6 speed 4x4 trans). 20W-50 might be a bit heavy, even if it consumes oil. the Restore should help that, but I think the recommended 10W-40 works fine no matter the number of miles on the engine.
Jamminfargo

Post by Jamminfargo »

OK so made it home chasing wife at 70 to 75 for 3 windy hours...lotsa fun except the radio is kaput. even pushing the lil bugar it got 28 mpg. Think it needs the valve lash adjusted among other thngs. Hoping its as simple as I remember doing it on the Midget and spitfores. Here's a few pictures showing the front headlight bezel it needs, new upholstery or patchwork on the drivers seat, the one serious cancer area by the wheel well and a dent in the fender that I may try to doink out from the inside if possible
tercel1.jpg
tercel2.jpg
tercel3.jpg
tercel4.jpg
tercel5.jpg
tercel6.jpg
tercel7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jamminfargo

Post by Jamminfargo »

oh I forgot...the tires are just 13's and it seems like it could definitely use a step up in overall diameter. 3600 RPM at 70mph seems a bit much. I'm thinking trying to score some Craigslist miata rims or whatever good usable 14's or maybe 15's pop up but in Fargo one needs patience or be prepared to drive a long way.

ah yes...one last question...for now at least. Is there a "batt light "in the dash to indicate low charging current? May need a battery or an alternator as it didnt want to turn over this morning but I didn't see a warning light while I drove it home.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

if you really care, those tears in the seat can be repaired. i had a friend help me with a similar tear. pics and details here.

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... 825#p57807

3600 rpm @ 70 mph might seem high but you have to move up to a considerably larger overall tire/wheel to noticelably decrease those rpm, and the trade off of that is a distinct lack of power on acceleration. blame the puny 62 hp, 1.5 L 3a engine. i personally just avoid driving that fast. 60 or 65 mph is my max in these cars. better fuel economy at those speeds, too.

yes, there is a battery warning light. when you turn the key to 'on', all the warning lights should illuminate. i think the battery one is on the lower left. if it does not illuminate, i would try replacing the bulb first. the gauge cluster is really easy to remove/replace.

if you have significant oil blowby, i recommend trying a seafoam oil treatment and then changing the oil. it has worked well for me for cleaning carbon deposits from oil scraper rings and decreasing oil consumption.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

looks like a good score! you might have a bad battery too, check the condition of charge with a simple volt meter when off, and than with it running. If votale jumps to 14-15 volts, the charging system is good. could be drain overnight on the battery or a bad battery that will not hold a charge.
Jamminfargo

Post by Jamminfargo »

Yeah Petros. I think it will be a fun car for the money and keep me outta trouble for awhile.

Dlb- great info on the seats and yes I do plan on getting that addressed after a few mechanical issues are tended to. Thanks for the pics too...Had no idea that you could get them so clean with a washing machine and patience.

Ok so rimwise I found a good clean set of 15" Ford ZX2 alloys with brand new all season 186/60's for $350. These are the same bolt pattern and center size as the miata rims that I missed out on. From what I read here it sounds like they may rub a bit when the wheels are turned fully but my intention is to get the 4runner springs in back and put the 1" spacers up front. Good logic here?

Just got back from being outta town so I havent checked the battery voltages but will get to that tomorrow I think. I ordered a valve cover gasket and should be dinking with that and adjusting the valve lash this weekend. I recall doing my MG by putting it in 3rd gear and rolling the car back and forth to open one valve and adjusting another until all 8 are done. Same process on these? It was a long time ago but I do remember the Midget running a boatload stronger after the adjustments.

Will most likely have a list of parts needed after spending some time in, under and around the car and I will post up in that forum then.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

jamminfargo, if you haven't already you should download the factory service manual (FSM) and follow the instructions in it for adjusting the valve lash. the FSM is an excellent resource, especially on the carb and emissions stuff. here is the link to download the FSM.

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8103
Jamminfargo

Post by Jamminfargo »

Yep yep...already have it downloaded.... was just wondering if anyone has done it lately and had any tips. The carb is also on the hit list as it seemed to take a good while to warm up and run well. Choke and all the lil diaphrams are probably in need of attention. North Dakota doesnt have emissions testing thankfully so I may look into some modifications there. I like being sort of "green" and mindful of the environment so I will keep the cat on it but I'm open to experimenting with other changes like the weber down the road