The Diary of my Tercel Journey

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Ogedei
Advanced Member

Post by Ogedei »

So I need to release some frustrations and where better than a group of people who have probably been through my pain at various points in their own ownership.

I bought a Tercel Wagon 4wd 1984 the Saturday before Father's day. I did an pretty extensive test drive and even had a pre-purchase inspection by a mechanic that I had trusted. They said the car looks good only the water pump is a bit loud. This car performed like a champ. The previous owner was a bit fanatic about this car. Homemade sun shades, tarp covering front seats, back seats always folded down and oil changes @1500 miles filter @3000. Even got the 4 miles to and from work a day and that is all he ever drove it. I saw the title and his story seemed to match.

I bought it and the car and drove off. First drive home I hear the alol too familiar sound of CV knock. I go to my mechnic who says it is the diff and it will be at most 4k to fix 1.5 k just to pull the tranny to determine the extent of the issue. Note that is 1.5x the price of the car. I find some import specific guys who say this is silly. The problem is intermittent and mostly when cold so they say come back when it gets worse most likely the axle since the half-shafts were replaced 20k ago and the CV joints are sealed and look clean. I breath a sigh of relief and decide not to go to that mechanic again (this was not the first issue with them mind you but the last in a very short period of time)

I go to get the emissions done and I fail, the idle is too high. >1200 I go to the old mechanic because they owe me a passed emission (part of the pre-purchase inspection PPI) they lower it to aroun 900 and I retest successfully. Now I can get my tag which is cool cause I am 1 week from driving it illegally.

Now I have started to experience the CV knocking on a regular basis but need to save the 300 to get it repaired. The engine is a hard start (more on this later) and it likes to diesel. So every tank I am buying Fuel injector cleaner and such and about to start the instructions I recieved in the repair forum for some the fuel system issues. I put the can of SeaFoam in and as soon as the engine is a reliable start I will use the deep creep as well.

However when I leave the car to sit for too long I can not start it. I have jumped it 3 x's this month and pushed satrted it once. It is an easy push start and that is OK by me. I took it to Auto Zone and their base test says it all passes. But I need to come back ands have them do a battery load test and a parasitic drain test to see if something is remaining open and draining the battery.

So here I am. I love this little car. When it is running it is smooth and corners like it is on rails. It has 4wd for those snowy days in the mountains yet gets 25 miles to the gallon with out any modifications. It is a Wagon with space to hold a mountina of goods. Most of all it has a personality. it is not some civic that you see everywhere or even a subaru wagon that looks like your mom's wagon before minivans only smaller. I am pledging to build this car up and use it as my every day driver (I deliver pizza 4 days a week ~300 miles) so it will be expected to put up with me as much as I will be expected to put up with it. I look forward with keeping a log here of what I and Rusty are up to and feel free to let me know your own experiences.
<span style='font-family:Optima'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>1984 SR5 4WD gold 140k miles running superbly on new clutch</span></span></span>
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Great! Keep us updated! Your story sounds sort of like my '84 story, with the exception that I don't have the CV joint problem.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Check your transmission fluid and let us know how is smells and looks. It won't smell very good, but no gear oil does. If you are familiar with gear oil stink, tell us if there is a difference in its stink. If not familiar, smell some unused stuff.
Again, your timing may be off and another possible issue could be with the plugs.

When I first started driving the 86 around, it would diesel, be difficult to start, occasionally die when I pushed the clutch in. That leads me to this question:
Do you see the fuel pump on the back of the engine, passenger side? Should be bronze in color. Is there oil on the firewall just behind it? If there is, wipe it all off then drive for a while and see if it returns.
Does the oil smell strongly of gas?
Do you occasionally get the smell of gas in the cab when driving?

Those 3 things are signs of a faulty fuel pump, which can also cause hard starts and dieseling. If any of those apply, let us know. If it comes to it, NAPA sells a good fuel pump for about $25 and all it takes is disconnection 2 lines and 2 bolts. I'll fill you in more if it comes to it.

Where do you fuel up?

Check your spark plugs, all 4 and if possible post a picture of them.

Good luck!
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Ogedei
Advanced Member

Post by Ogedei »

Typrus
Wow you are going to keep me busy with all these little tasks and I thank you in advance for being helpful with your experience.

I will take a look at it all. Currently I do not have spark plug socket so it could be a while before I can afford one and get back to you on that.

My Toyo mechanic said the fluids all were full and looked fine.

The Spark plugs are less than 20K old maybe even younger.

Thanks again, I will let you know what happens after today's tests.
<span style='font-family:Optima'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>1984 SR5 4WD gold 140k miles running superbly on new clutch</span></span></span>
rust collector

Post by rust collector »

My 86 has points...Does your 84?
A new set made a huge difference on my car.
ghettomobile
Advanced Member

Post by ghettomobile »

My 84 doesnt. It has the electronic ignition
Ogedei
Advanced Member

Post by Ogedei »

I have not taken a hard look at the alternator yet. I can not tell you if it is electronic or not.

Back to my previous story. So yesterday morning I went to Auto Zone and asked Dude AM to test my electic system. He was alone so he could only do a quick test. He performed the 50 second test and the system passed but of course aftrer buying the sea foam stuff I could nto start my car. I had to go to work so DudeAM said come back this afternoon and ask for a parasitic test and a battery load test. So I went back and talked to DudePM who in turn talked to DudeMgr who all said they did not know what DudeAM was even talking about. So I left wondering what to do next.

I went to my mechanic afraid that I might pay too much for something simple and it turns out OK. They tested the battery and showed that it was nearing the end of its life it had passable loads but they were not holding for as long as they should. So I bought a new battery and they installed for no charge.

So armed with a car that should start I drove the car about 15 minutes uphill to a local gas station and started the deep creep treatment. see other post for this. After the basic treatment my dieseling is more of a run-on now. It used to be like riding a bucking bronco when I turned it off. So I feel like I am getting somewhere.

I hope to be able to buy some sparkplug sockets today/tomorrow to be able to pull out my plugs for a picture. I would like to price out replacement parts. What do you all reccomend for replacing the distributer, wires and plugs?
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I'm using NGK V-power plugs...NAPA "economy" wire set (they fit!)...Advance Auto cap & rotor...

If you are using Bosh plat plugs...they can cause pinging problems.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

xaserII

Post by xaserII »

ngk plugs, napa wires, distributor, and rotor change and check the fuel pump, and the fuel filter, air filter. change all these components and add some sort of fuel additive and i think you will be pleasantly suprized by the increase in performance.
also these cars idle really low so dont jack up the idle skrew other wise the idle will fluctuate up and down.
im having issues with my carb so a rebuild kit would be a good idea maybe???
as far as the knocking of the cv joints (thats really sucks dude) check the junkyard for replacements and get a guarentee on them so if they are bad you can swap em.
hey all you terc freaks whats a weber carb cost for the 3ac? somebody have a link???
i think i saw one for like 3 bills but thats way to much.
i need an agressive front bumper.....
x
Ogedei
Advanced Member

Post by Ogedei »

Oh but hey guys it is just getting better and better.

It all starts on a busy wednesday night when I start to get a shutter in 2nd gear. I just figure that I am pissed off about stuff so I am just driving sloppy. Ah but no.

I get on the freeway to go home and start noticing this intermittent 500-800 rpm rise without power gain after a 17 hour day I just think I am being sloppy and since I have an uphill trip I figure the power issue are the hills. then about 2 miles later I can not go over 35 in any gear or at any RPM range. I pull off the road and start sniffing. Gotta love that clutch smell. and oh yea the smoke I am seeing in my headlights. So since I am not able to go uphill (home is up hill) I turn around and park it and call my son to get me.

I would love to think that it was just hot from a rough night and that a few pedal and other adjustments will put me back on the road but I know deep in my heart a new clutch is in order and I hope that the Fly Wheel was not affected by the heat. Well I am off to view the repair guides for comments on clutches.
Ogedei
Advanced Member

Post by Ogedei »

3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Rebuilt axles for this car are crap, so if they were replaced that's actually an indicator that they are probably bad.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I hate clutch slip >.<
If we can see the plugs we can tell if there is a mixture problem or whathaveyou.

I'd think it might be wise to look at a heavy duty clutch for your Terc. They sell them at some places. Do a web search and it should turn up.
Last place I looked was selling Weber's for $390.

Good luck
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Ogedei
Advanced Member

Post by Ogedei »

So I found <a href='http://www.toyotapartstore.com/Toyota_Tercel_06013.html' target='_blank'>http://www.toyotapartstore.com/Toyota_T ... 13.html</a>
and they had an OEM cluthc kit for around 100. I could get a aftermarket cheaper but is OEM worth it?
xaserII

Post by xaserII »

im kinda in the middle of a carb replacement. but my bar tab is threw the roof so i will probly live with the floats sticking and the jets all clogged up. 390 is way too much to spend on a terc.
im going to look into a rebuild kit for the stock carb. also i live in a non smog area of the country so what ideas on shitcanning the smog stuff and going with a wider exaus/headers???t>
im to hammered to be here so later.....
x