ALERT: STOLEN TERCEL

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Mosquito wrote:You don't need to do a battery cutoff--too obvious, and too dangerous with all those amps. :shock: Much better to do a switch on the coil ground wire, placed somewhere in the cab--that way, when they go to start it, it will crank and crank, but not turn over. The smart thief will catch on, but then he has to decide if it's worthwhile to spend time looking for the switch after he's attracted attention by letting the car crank for fifteen seconds.
To attract even more attention to the thief, you could have the horn connected to the starter when the switch is armed. :D
ctishman
Advanced Member

Post by ctishman »

Well, I got my car back today. It was in one piece, and ditched approximately 120 feet from where they ditched it the last time they stole it. Apparently these people steal 6-7 cars per month, and although they know who's doing it, the local police department doesn't have the money to build a case against them. On the upside, I don't pay any sales tax. :x

They started it with a screwdriver, which bent the ignition slot so my key wouldn't fit; however, the guy from the towyard gave me a flathead which I used to start it and drive it home. The thieves left the sunroof cracked open very slightly over this last rainy weekend, so it's kind of musty inside, but I put it under a tarp, and opened the windows this afternoon while it was sunny. My upholstery isn't a total loss. Unfortunately, they took damn near everything from the car. My stereo, jumper cables, registration, manuals, trash bin, center and radio consoles and e-brake housing, a couple of my old 2600 magazines and a box of old sweatshirts I was going to take to Goodwill. In return they left the sticker off some medicated lip balm and a cigarette butt.

Total damages:
Missing Stereo: $250
Missing Interior Moulding: $50
Insurance deductible: -$300

Also, my insurance place won't issue me a policy if they total it a second time, and they assured me that's what they'd do, regardless of whether the car was damaged. Since I bought it back for $150 (scrap value) the last time it was stolen, I'd see about $40 out of State Farm when all was said and done, so I've withdrawn my claim, and will just go to the DMV for a new title.

By the way, does anyone have suggestions for a new ignition I can put in it? Hopefully something that takes more than a screwdriver to start.
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

I'm really glad you got your car back. Hope you can figure out a way to keep the dirty b*&%#rds from taking it again. Sounds like some time for a little sting-type opreation if the police don't have the balls to uphold the law. As good a place as this is to live, it's going to go down the toilet if the criminals keep getting all the rights and the victims of crime have none.

Sometimes I see ignition switches in cars at the junkyard with keys in them, but you'd have two different keys......which you'll have regardless unless you replace your lock cylinders on the doors as well. I'm sure that could get pretty expensive. Other than that, I am not aware of any cheap alternatives.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Well now... Its good you got it back.
My recommendation is to perhaps see if you can get ahold of an ignition from a German car with the laser-cut keys. $$$$$$$$$$$$$ lol
Not a whole lot to do.......

Try to look at a newish ignition with a cutoff when the key is not fully inserted. If the ignition is forced to turn, it doesn't toggle anything because a sensor, or magnet, or something isn't activated. I think our Excursion has that.

Another option- Build a garage. Even if its just an elaborate shed with a double-lock door, its likely the strongest of the base deterrants out there. Its that much harder to get into a garage than just the car. But thats for just your driveway obviously.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Something I always wanted to try...an electric fence charger. Not sure how it would affect the ECU....but since no one can find it...maybe it isn't really there?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

ctishman
Advanced Member

Post by ctishman »

I don't think you've got an ECU in a carbed car like our precious Tercels.
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

There's something like an ECU in these cars. It's above the glove compartment, screwed to the underside of the dash. Really just controls the emissions equipment. At least on the USDM cars, I don't know if Canadian, French, Australian, etc., versions would have it or not.

Now Hornbeam has a real ECU, but that's not normal. :D