5AF Swap Running

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
FH Bible

Post by FH Bible »

Well the motor is in and I have it running. I still have to get it tuned up though. It was nice to turn it over and hear it start up. At first it wouldn't idle then after tinkering it would idle at about 2500 rpm without dieing. I think some of the vacuum lines are hooked up incorrectly or one of the jets in the carb is gummed up from sitting in the AZ heat without running for so long. Do you guys have any suggestions? Should I rethink the vacuum lines, rebuild the carb or ditch the whole setup and put an aftermarket carb on there? If so what carb should I use? It has the F head and the butterfly valves in the intake manifold?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to go 4 wheelin! Help!
:D
jared
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

i appologise for my ignorance but what engine did you put in, isit a hybrid, do you have any pics???
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Please shogun, don't be too harsh on yourself. You called it ignorance. Man you mean " not knowing. " Please don't be harsh on yourself. :( :o
K-Business
FH Bible

Post by FH Bible »

The 5af is a 1500cc A series block with a carburated DOHC 16 Valve F series head. It was originaly in some JDM FWD toyota, not sure what. It is very similar to the late 80's early 90's Corrola SR5 4af. Only the Corrola had a 1600 and did not have the butterfly valves in the intake manifold. I chose this motor because it seemed like a decent and cheap ($320 shipped if I remember correctly) upgrade w/o getting rediculous. This motor is ageneration after the 4af, hence the 5 prefix. So 2 generations newer than the 3a the tercel had.
This is realy all I know about it.
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

do you have any pics....
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
20vtercel
Top Notch Member

Post by 20vtercel »

5a-f in a nutshell:
Made post 1987 in japanese/ausi/canada(rare) toyota fwd cars
DOHC cam driven
4 valve per cylinder
22.5 deg valve angle
1498 CC
85 bhp@6000 rpm
90 ftlbs@3600 rpm
78.7mm bore
77.0mm stroke
9.8:1 CR
'84 Tercel HB, 202hp Turbocharged 20v, 4WD, Lowered, Custom exhaust, Mangles Rims with Avid V4 Rubber! Hola!!
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Any problems with the exhaust manifold hitting the steering shaft?
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

i know what it is, but then again my 3asu has more hp maybe doesn´t flow as much but it has more hp at lower compresion ratio
FH Bible

Post by FH Bible »

I had a header built for it so we designed it with the stearing in mind. The clearance is still tight there and keeping the starter from getting too hot is also a challenge. The specs I found on the motor said it had 95 hp and 90 lb/ft torque, but I could be wrong. Anyway I figure number will change with the full exhaust and it looks like a new weber carb is in order so no tellin what the hp and torque figures will be.

Do you guys think my neighbor is right about the summer heat in AZ gelling the gas inside the carb and screwing it all up?

Yes I will get some pics up but my first priority is getting the darn thing running. I will try to show some of the "re-engineering" I had to do. Mainly with the firewall (can you say big hammer), the hood (saws-all), and the coolant lines. It is starting to sound realy getto but realy isn't that bad at all.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Wouldn't worry too much about the heat and gas....I've measured the fuel heat with a 3AC on the gas line right before going into the carb at 110F on a 73F day...this is with no heated fuel....156F just sitting after a run.

I would have some air blowing on the carb though.

Gas won't gel...but it will evaporate and maybe vapor lock. Just keep a charcoal can in there to catch the vapors and expect to take a while to restart it in hot weather?

With heated fuel...my car starts to have problems only when driving at a walking pace and the fuel temp shows around 150F.

Evaporation of the fuel usually cools the carb when running.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

FH Bible

Post by FH Bible »

I'm talking about the car sitting with gas in the carb and not running for a long time. The fuel that was in it vaporized and my neighbor thinks that in that process it left some material in one of the jets clogging it up. I noticed that all of the fuel injected versions with the f head make significantly more power. Is the stock carb set-up that bad? If so I may want to trade out the carb anyway.

thanks again for your input

jared
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Use a few cans of Sea-Foam. I explained it to Ogedae, I'm sure you can find it around here. A big can of B-12 Chemtool might help.
With the stock tranny, 90 horses might be close to pushing it.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
FH Bible

Post by FH Bible »

The clutch I put in is stock so I really can't break the tranny all that easily. I would probably kill the clutch first. Thanks for the seafoam idea.
j
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

from my calculations it can take 150 hp, when i had the built and balanced engine i used a couple of times a 50 shot of nitrous an it holded very well, the clutch was a centerforce, dont remember the part number but it was adapted to my flywheel, the engine had on 44 idd carb, ported polished head, angle job higher copm ratio and all the totating mass was given a tratment for better endurance
FH Bible

Post by FH Bible »

Well I now have a weber on it. I bought all the stuff and had it shipped to my parents house and my dad got excited about it and threw it all on there for me. He called me last sunday and reved it up for me over the phone. Open header is loud! I am pumped to go down there and cruise it around a bit. Maybe do some 4 wheelin. Still some stuff to clean up and organise but all in all almost done.