Transmission Leak

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Tman312
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel 4WD

Transmission Leak

Post by Tman312 »

So, been wondering why my mothers tercel has been going through tranny fluid so fast since the install.

When I had it on my lift topping off the fluid, I noticed where the main source of the leak was from-the rear output shaft.

I noticed the driveline was a little "back" so I undid the carrier and pushed it father in hoping to help fix the leak.

Wondering if the seal (if there is one) behind it is easy to fix and what I need to do.

1984 4WD SR5
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Transmission Leak

Post by Petros »

transmission rear seal is fairly easy replacment. Do it ASAP or you risk trashing the transmission. New seals are available from most autoparts stores, it is a standard part made by several seal manufacturers, they do not cost much. Or order one from rockauto, but that takes while for it to arrive.

You remove the drive shaft by unbolting it from the rear diff/and remove the carrier bearing retainer, than pull it straight back. there is a metal collar or sleeve around the rear tail shaft output flange to protect the rear seal, it just slips off, and it exposes the old seal. pull it out with a screw driver or seal tool, clean the seat and carefully slide in the new one. I put non-hardening form-a-gasket in the seat to make sure the seal stays put, but it is not necessary, just make sure the seat is clean. I also put some gear oil on the new seal lip so you do not damage it when you slide in the drive shaft.

BTW, the rear spline sleeve on the front end of the drive shaft is not supposed to be pushed all the way forward, it has to move fore and aft to accommodate the slight change in length from arch of the the rear axle as is swings up and down.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Tman312
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel 4WD

Post by Tman312 »

Sounds like cake.

The collar/sleeve just comes off? No clips or anything?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

yes, it is a slip fit, not even pressed on. As I recall, I thought it was going to be difficult to get it off, but I think I tapped with a soft hammer back and forth and I pulled it off the rest of the way by hand.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)