thermostat housing??

This is a forum JUST for posting part numbers.
yota81
My tercel:: 81 toyota corolla tercel 3ac

thermostat housing??

Post by yota81 »

Hello new to the group but I just bought me a 81 Toyota corolla tercel. But been having overheating problems and went to replace the thermostat and realized one of the bolts were missing.. But it was covered in silicone but I decided to take it off anyways and the housing on the motor side is broken!!! Need help to figure out what its called or if anyone has that part they want to sell me? Or if you can even take it off?
0317171546.jpg
0317171547.jpg
0317171546a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Re: thermostat housing??

Post by rer233 »

Welcome to the club- lots of good peeps here. Wow- that thing is busted BAD! Part in question is the water pump housing- it can be replaced (I probably have a few around here somewhere.) I worked on some of the original Tercels back in the day (even bought an '82 4 door years ago with a blown engine which I fixed and re-sold.) You gotta remove the upper timing belt cover, water pump pulley,upper radiator water hose housing, and maybe the timing belt to replace it (I'll have to check on that tomorrow.) You're also gonna need the "o" ring that goes between the housing and engine block, 2 "o" rings for the bypass pipe, t-stat gasket, housing to head gasket, and water pump gasket. You also may need the bypass pipe (early cars had thin steel pipes that rotted thru) but yours has probably already been upgraded to the new thicker pipe. Now would be a good time to do the water pump, timing belt, cam and front crank seals too.

Where are you located?
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
yota81

Post by yota81 »

Oh thank goodness!! I kinda figured you can take it off but I couldn't tell? But if you have any laying around id like to buy from you! Ive look everywhere and can't find anything?? Okay that dont sound bad at all! I'm located in Arkansas.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member

Post by rer233 »

Found one. How's $10 plus the ride from 21214 ($13.60 USPS med flat rate box) sound? Think you can probably sneak it out without removing the T-belt. I'll also include the T-stat housing as yours might be damaged. Need any other small mechanical parts? Lots of room left in the box (not sure if any body/trim parts are interchangeable between gen1 and gen2 Tercs.) PM me your info and I can get it out to you sometime next week.

Rich.
85 SR5 Blue
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
yota81

Post by yota81 »

Oh cool!! Thanks alot! That's sounds great!! If I do need anything else ill let you know! It seems like alot of things are missing in this car. Its sweet and fun To drive! In not sure why but the reverse light doesn't work and it has oil leaks from oil pan, head, and valve gasket it looks like. But I'm planning to replace them but Idk would like to swap a new motor? Do you know what you could swap into it? And ill pm you.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum!

the pump housing replacement is fairly easy, no need to replace the timing belt unless it needs one (find out how old the old one is, or if it looks worn or cracked, showing cords, etc. go ahead and replace it, and the front main seal while you are at it.

It is unlikely the oil pan gasket or the head gasket, is leaking (unless some careless mechanic or Do-it-yourselfer had it off before). Almost always oil leaks down from one of several places and than runs around the oil pan gasket and makes it appear like it leaks too.

So first replace the more likely sources of oil leaks (that are also much easier than the oil pan gasket to replace). These are, in approx order of likely source: the valve cover gasket (including the cover bolt gaskets, and the "half moon" plug at the back of the head), the o-ring in the distributor, the fuel pump gasket(s), the oil pressure sender (behind the alternator), the front main seal, the cam shaft seal. All are fairly easy to replace, but verify which is the source by cleaning the engine up at a coin op car wash, and check for fresh oil after driving it. the rear main seal could be a source of leaking too, but not as common. Replacing the rear seal is a big job, best try the oil additive stop leaks and replace it when it needs a new clutch, (otherwise the stop-leak products are not recommended, they soften and swells all the seals, which at best is a temporary fix).

No need to replace the motor if the compression is good, certainly not because of an oil leak. much easier to fix leaks, even multiple leaks, than replace the motor.

Always diagnose the problem BEFORE you try and fix it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Seal puller w/pix: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10455&hilit=seal
2 pix of my home-made timing belt gear puller and belt pulley puller (need to pull when doing crank seal): Before reassembling, use fine steel wool to polish the shaft and then a coating of anti-seize on the shaft!
I made mine after the inspiration of member xirdneh's (second photo): Mine are more "field expediency" than his - but they worked!
xirdneh also made a video on belt/pump/ front seals replacement: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10640&hilit=timing
DO replace the water bypass tube now, rather than later (first pix) - this is latest version: The O-rings, gasket, and tube were $45+shipping Oct 2016 from Butler Toy of Indianapolis/my favorite vendor:
Thia would be a good time to vinegar the radiator: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10496&hilit=vinegar

Tom M.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
yota81

Post by yota81 »

Okay thanks! Ill be sure to do that! But I was just wondering what you could possibly swap into it. Petrol.
And archinstl thanks that's really helpful! Ill get to it!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I forgot one item on doing the belt replacement: xirdneh had no luck using his impact wrench on the crank bolt - he went in with the extension and flex joint over the bumper - I went in with my impact wrench and the extension and flex joint under the bumper, and the angle was much less acute and the bolt popped right off.

I also forgot: Welcome to the Club!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
rer233
Highest Ranking Member

Post by rer233 »

You can also loosen the c/s bolt hillbilly-style- wedge a breaker bar with socket attached against the floor and energize the starter momentarily to shock the bolt loose. Don't like doing it, but when all else fails...
85 SR5 Blue
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
NathanRoberts
My tercel:: 85 Toyota Tercel SR5

Post by NathanRoberts »

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I had a similar failure on my water pump housing, and I'm having a hard time finding one. Can anyone point me in the right direction with a part number or recommended vendor?
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey Nathan,

Any luck with the WP housing? I have one off the JY 4ac I purchased that should be what you need. Let me know.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Jorge.rivera0924
My tercel:: 1982 Toyota Corolla Tercel

Post by Jorge.rivera0924 »

Sorry to bring this up again I am ralatevely new at this whole car thing I have exactly the same problem. Mine busted the bolt when I was trying to replace the thermostat. I cannot fine the housing anywhere. PLEASE HELP!!!
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

How much of that bolt is protruding? Can you get vice grips on it? Gently heat the housing with a torch and try working the screw loose. Spray water on the bolt head, tap on the end with a small ball peen hammer. Try not to ham fist it off and you may get lucky. It's dissimilar metal corrosion, very common. When you put it back together (whether you replace the housing or not) a film of silicone on the threads of the bolts helps prevent this in the future.

If the vice grips don't work, you may be able to drill out the screw being careful not to let the drill bit slip into the aluminum. Grind the head flat, mark the center with a punch and start with a small bit and work your way up.

Good luck.
Jorge.rivera0924
My tercel:: 1982 Toyota Corolla Tercel

Post by Jorge.rivera0924 »

Thanks for the advise I will follow advise and give it a shot.