Another Seattle AL25 member

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Another Seattle AL25 member

Post by NWMO »

Nice work,

I'm new to the Tercel mania, but am enjoying my SR5. You are in the right part of the country for the Tercel, not as easy to find whole or part in the Midwest. Keep up the great work.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Very nice
Your clutch pedal "auto adjusts" stretched cable is a possibility but she may need a new clutch sooner than later.
Come to think of it most of the t4's i have owned have all engaged rather low to the floor so maybe your good for a while :oldgeek:
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Gottolovem wrote:Very nice
Your clutch pedal "auto adjusts" stretched cable is a possibility but she may need a new clutch sooner than later.
Come to think of it most of the t4's i have owned have all engaged rather low to the floor so maybe your good for a while :oldgeek:
Agreeing with this. I changed out a new clutch and cable and the auto adjust deal kept the engagement low to the floor. Even after I adjusted it to my liking, it went right back to where it was.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

if the auto adjuster at the top of the clutch pedal is maxed out, than you need a new clutch cable. if not, the cable is not the problem, though they do not cost much, if you can find them. Rockauto.com has them in stock sometimes, cheap.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

there have also been some issues of clutches being the wrong sizes. it's possible the one you installed came incorrectly packaged or something similar. it's happened several times to forum members. i would investigate the cable first though, of course.
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

Gottolovem wrote:Very nice
Thanks "Gottolovem" but this is a brand new clutch that was just installed.
BaileySims wrote: I changed out a new clutch and cable and the auto adjust deal kept the engagement low to the floor. Even after I adjusted it to my liking, it went right back to where it was.
This may be what is happening but I don't like it so if it is the case I will be overriding the auto adjuster.
Petros wrote:if the auto adjuster at the top of the clutch pedal is maxed out, than you need a new clutch cable. if not, the cable is not the problem, though they do not cost much, if you can find them. Rockauto.com has them in stock sometimes, cheap.

the auto adjuster pawl was engaging the gear with more than 2/3rds of its adjustment left so that wasn't the problem. I was adjusting the screw stop to give the pedal maximum travel which helped to the point that I could at least get the clutch to release enough to take it for a short test drive. I may end up replacing the cable as a precaution, and as you say they are not very expensive.
dlb wrote:there have also been some issues of clutches being the wrong sizes. it's possible the one you installed came incorrectly packaged or something similar. it's happened several times to forum members. i would investigate the cable first though, of course.
I hope that isn't the case. it certainly didn't appear to be overly thick, which is the only dimension I could imagine causing this kind of trouble. I would hate to have to pull that transmission out again.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions I feel like I have found an excellent community here.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

Got my shifter bushings from Marlin Crawler in the mail. Now I should be able find the gear I want while driving.
8792EC5E-BAC7-4C90-9668-7C57A595B442.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by helipilot77 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Interesting on the shifter bushing; the OEM one I (and others) installed back in '09 had a closed bottom - no opening.
I wonder why this one has a hole.
I also do not recall (senescence) the seat having a notch.
Did Marlin Crawler say these parts were used on other Toys?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

ARCHINSTL wrote:Interesting on the shifter bushing; the OEM one I (and others) installed back in '09 had a closed bottom - no opening.
I wonder why this one has a hole.
I also do not recall (senescence) the seat having a notch.
Did Marlin Crawler say these parts were used on other Toys?
Tom M.
Because the Marlin crawler parts are made of nylon rather than soft plastic and rubber they had to modify the design to facilitate installation. The seat is placed upside down with the notches on the pins. Then it is rotated forward and down until it is installed right side up.
As shown here:
https://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/guid ... stallation

I'm not sure why the shifter bushing has a hole in the bottom. I have had these parts in my diesel 4Runner for years. They make the shifting tight and precise. I also ordered a boot from them cause mine was torn, but it hasn't arrived yet.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

I found a small copy of my tercel on eBay in the right color paint! So now I have a shrunken version of both of my Toyotas in toy copies!
FB01ACBD-7126-4076-A923-497877E469FE.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by helipilot77 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
timothygodden
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 tercel 4wd sr5 lifted, modified head, delta cam, 2" exhaust

Post by timothygodden »

Amazing find love these little replicas, still looking for an exact copy of mine
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

helipilot77 wrote:Got my shifter bushings from Marlin Crawler in the mail. Now I should be able find the gear I want while driving.
8792EC5E-BAC7-4C90-9668-7C57A595B442.jpg
Yesterday I tried fitting the shifter bushings to my transmission and the were both too big. So I'll have to see if they offer a version smaller.
Last edited by helipilot77 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
timothygodden
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 tercel 4wd sr5 lifted, modified head, delta cam, 2" exhaust

Post by timothygodden »

Think you can still get those from Toyota?
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

yeah I can but I would prefer the nylon ones if I can have them.Toyota sells the seat for. $13 and the socket for $8.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

I made it out to the wrecking yard this weekend and scrounged up some fun parts. There was an 84' with a grey interior that had been picked pretty clean. I got a steering wheel from it cause mine is disentigrating. They also had an 86 car that was pretty fully loaded and had only been there for 3 days. From it I got the entire A/C system minus the compressor, a rear wiper assembly, a cruise control unit and switch with delay wiper switch (I'll need to find a control unit from a manual transmission car) and I also got the sunroof out of it. So I have some fun projects ahead of me.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]