86 Tercel DLX 3AC dieing at stop light. Help please?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Miss_parker
My tercel:: 1986 DLX

86 Tercel DLX 3AC dieing at stop light. Help please?

Post by Miss_parker »

Hey! New to this group. Figured someone on here could lend some helpful tips. (:
I drive an 86 Tercel DLX 3AC 1.6L.

Car is idling rough, stalling on turns/accelerating & dieing at stop lights. Sucking gas like no tomorrow. Blowing a fair amount of oil into air intake mani.

New Stuff:
Alternator
Starter
Spark Plugs
Head Gasket
Wires
Vacuum Hoses
Carb
Radiator
New oil change
Camshaft seal
Crankshaft seal
Timing belt
Tension pulley
Valve Cover Gasket
Oil Pan Gasket
Cap & rotor
Fuel pump
Air filter
PCV Valve
Heater hoses
Fuel Filter
Radiator

What could be my problem? I'm thinking blowby? Shotty head job? Maybe fuel issue?
GotToyota?
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel Wagon DLX

Re: 86 Tercel DLX 3AC dieing at stop light. Help please?

Post by GotToyota? »

Have you done a compression test yet? I would look into that next as it appears you've almost replaced everything else.

I would also double and triple check your vacuum lines to make sure they are all hooked up correctly.

Have you replaced or checked to see if your TVSV valve works correctly?
Miss_parker

Post by Miss_parker »

I did a little while ago. I have a full time job and don't really have much time to work on it anymore so I took it to my mechanic & he tweaked everything. Said my idle was wayyyy off & he adjusted the valves & pistons. To me, the idle is too low now.

Haven't checked the TVSV valve.
Last edited by Miss_parker on Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miss_parker

Post by Miss_parker »

Actually, I was thinking of a different part. Yes, I have replaced the TVSV valve recently.
GotToyota?
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel Wagon DLX

Post by GotToyota? »

What carb did you replace it with? A factory replacement?

Sounds like your idle adjustment might be way off. Many mechanics don't know how to work on these cars unless they know 80's Japanese cars and carbs.
Miss_parker

Post by Miss_parker »

Factory replacement. Got it online from the carb exchange located in Cali. The sent it to me so I could compare the two then sent mine to them to get the core charge back.
I was thinking the idle adjust too. Every mechanic I've come across has something different to say. Another reason why I do most repairs myself.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum,

oil blowing into the air filter is either a bad pvc valve (which you replaced per above) or lots of blow by. you can temp rig a catch can, run a line from valve cover to a plastic jug and check it regularly. You might be able to reduce the blow by by use of an oil additive like STP or Restore, check your compression, if it is low (below 120 PSI) than that is likely the problem. It means it needs new rings.

This is a separate issue from the fuel consumption and the rough idle. that sounds like a vacuum leak, which you can look for using a can of starter fluid spray by squirting small amounts around the vac lines, intake manifold and carb area; if the idle speed goes up when you spray it at one spot that is where the leak is. Carb cleaner also works for this test. Also, as noted use the vac diagram for your model and double check all the lines are routed properly, and all lines are connected and in good condition. If they are all good than one of the vac powered accessories could be acting like a leak.

Also, check your float level through the window on the front of the carb (you can see the fuel level). One of the most common sources of really bad fuel economy is the AAP diaphragm being bad, easy test: pull the vac line from it and see if it is fuel of raw fuel. IF the auxiliary acceleration pump diaphragm is bad it will leak into the vac system and run it into the intake manifold.

unless you know your mechanic is familiar with this old of a fuel system, I would not be so sure that he knows what he is doing. He might just be charging you to replace good parts hoping it will fix the problem.

always diagnose the problem before you try and fix it.

good luck
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Miss_parker

Post by Miss_parker »

Pretty sure it is blow by. I'll start by replacing the pcv valve again (since its cheap) & then adding a canister. I saw a previous post about adding a canister someone got off ebay.

Fuel consumption wise, I shall check the vac lines again. and go from there.

Thanks a bunch for the quick replies! :D I'll let you guys know how everything turns out.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

also too much oil in crankcase will cause oil to burp into air filter housing
is the large vacuum line still connected to air filter housing (under on driverside)
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Miss_parker

Post by Miss_parker »

The large vac line is connected. I always make sure when putting it back on, that it's connected
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

PCV valves are easy to test. just blow through it each way. air should pass easily from the valve cover side to the manifold side, and with restriction the opposite way. if it does that, it's fine. next, i would do a compression test. if the #s are good, i would suspect carbon deposit buildup on the oil scraper rings and suggest doing one or two seafoam treatments to the oil. if the #s are low, you can try using restore or some similar product every oil change but ultimately you will need to replace the rings.

the running issues all sound carb related. dying on turns particularly sounds like a low fuel level in the bowl. park the car on flat level ground, remove the air filter housing, and look through the sight glass on the front of the carb. the fuel should be between the two points. if it's not, the float level probably needs to be adjusted.

rough idle could be a combination of the idle speed and idle mixture. follow the steps in the factory service manual (FSM, available on the forum) to set both. while you're at it, you might double check the fast idle and throttle position settings too. they're all super easy to adjust. and yes, do double and triple check all the vacuum hoses. it's a pain to do it the first few times but once you get familiar with them, it's not so bad at all.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Don't depend on the blow through test on the PCV valve only. I put a new valve on an engine I rebuilt and had massive oil consumption. I put the original one back in and I didn't use a drop. The new valve tested normally but obviously it was calibrated incorrectly.
Miss_parker

Post by Miss_parker »

Alright, so she's been driving a lot better. Not dieing at lights anymore & doing better around turns.
Did come home & did a quick look-over. The air filter is soaked in oil & I can smell burning oil. That has now confirmed by guess. Blowby & idled too low.
Anyone have a diagram or pic of how you rig a canister up to catch? I'm planning on buying this one off ebay, I guess.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALUMINUM-ROUND- ... 96&vxp=mtr
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Miss_parker wrote: I'm planning on buying this one off ebay, I guess.
Why would (quoting here) "Installation Instruction is not Included."?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Miss_parker

Post by Miss_parker »

ARCHINSTL wrote:
Miss_parker wrote: I'm planning on buying this one off ebay, I guess.
Why would (quoting here) "Installation Instruction is not Included."?
Tom M.
Oh, thank you for pointing that out! Deff didn't read that far into the listing.