197000 mile tune-up

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
jed
My tercel:: 84 tercel sr5, 6 speed, forged gear shift, happy face timing cover, barber pole drive shaft

197000 mile tune-up

Post by jed »

Knowing very little about cars I rebuilt my engine 197000 miles ago. Recently it has been eating head gaskets, oil, and bangan/clangn in ways that I would describe as not good. I know the valve in at least one cylinder are not right and seepage is around one plug. The question is do I go for a crate head or rebuild existing head. The other bigger option is crate engine, seeing one cv is toast and the clutch has a hard 190 on it. Being that I am home only for a few days before heading back to the wilds of the job site in southern IL doing any of this work myself is approaching hard - and the good socket set is sitting nicely in the tool crib at work.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: 197000 mile tune-up

Post by Petros »

If you can get a crate engine complete, it would be cheaper than rebuilding your existing engine, I have had good luck with the imported used engines, but are hard to find for the Tercel4wd. You might also see if you can get a 4ac crate engine if you can not get a 3ac.

The head usually can be rebuilt, but occasionally messed up valves can do damage to the head that is not worth fixing. IF you do rebuild the head replace all the valve guides, and the exhaust valves with new ones. Intakes can be regound and reused. You have to pull the head to know if the head can be salvaged. IF you are going to rebuilt/replace the head use my procedure for installing the new head over in the repair guilds. it will make the head gasket more durable and should improve engine performance.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
jed
My tercel:: 84 tercel sr5, 6 speed, forged gear shift, happy face timing cover, barber pole drive shaft

Re: 197000 mile tune-up

Post by jed »

Thanks for he help. Autozone can get a crate 3-ac head or a 4-ac engine. I am sticking with he 3a because it just works in the Terc. sadly I will not be doing this myself do to me being in Memphis only temporary (next job interview tomorrow) then back up to job site in IL. My front end mechanic - I only did that work once - never again if I can avoid it - is an old Celica head and is going to do the work. He somehow spliced the 2t head (hemi) on a 22r and got it in his Celica. Think it is in good hands for the operation, and my hmo (cash shield of the mercenary metalsmiths) agrees.