came across this one

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
dirklc
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD SR5

came across this one

Post by dirklc »

I've been lurking for a few months and going back-and-forth about getting a T4WD. Haven't been too serious about it since most decent ones I've seen are on the west coast (although I would have gotten on a plane for St6fan's ride!). Anyway, I just came across this one in my part of the world:
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/2099363727.html

Emailed the owner asking about the engine knock and a few questions about general condition (rust, interior, etc)..
There are a few rust spots around the wheel well. The knock is loud enough to hear over the engine and gets louder with engine speed. I don’t know if I would trust driving it far. Its an automatic
So what do you guys think? I've got an '85 Land Rover which I'm putting together in my driveway so really don't need another headcase project right now (need a daily driver). Think the engine is terminal? I was disappointed it's an auto. From what I've gleamed here, auto suffers with the underpowered engine. Also, does the auto still have the low gear in 4WD?

I don't have the space (and the wife doesn't have the tolerance) for a bunch of project cars. Would you keep looking or jump on it?

I'll probably go take a look at it; if I pass, then would be happy to share additional details to anyone who might be interested.

Best,
Dirk
1984 Tercel 4WD SR5
1985 Range Rover
1998 Toyota T100 4WD SR5
1995 Toyota T100 4WD SR5
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: came across this one

Post by Petros »

Welcome to the list!

I would pass on it. Rusty, it is auto trans (get a manual trans, these cars are underpowered enough as it is and the manual gets better fuel economy), and it needs major engine work. $500 is too much.

Wait until you find a good one, even if you do the work yourself you would likely have another $500 or more into it, and it would still be rusty and underpowered.

Better examples are found out west I think, and probably worth a plan ride to get a good one. I have traveled to other states to find them, but I also find lots of good ones around here too.

Be patient or you might pay too much and regret your purchase.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dirklc

Post by dirklc »

Thanks for the advice - that's kind of where my head was but wanted to see if maybe I was missing something. I'm in no rush and could spend more for one in better shape. I've come to realize that I enjoy working on my vehicles and get a great deal of satisfaction from keeping them maintained myself but don't have the time in my life right now to have a bunch of big projects going at once (one broken down irrational vehicle project at a time!).

I would hop on a plane or long road trip for the right vehicle. It's tough, though, to get comfortable enough with the owner's biased description to invest in a trip. For example, I've come to find that the definition of "no rust" seems to vary greatly. Like "no rust (except for those holes in the floor that never bothered anybody b/c they are covered up they the floor mats )". Or "excellent condition (for a 25-year-old vehicle that we found floating around New Orleans after Katrina)!" And the good ones get scooped up so fast that it's tough to jump on one from a distance.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in a project vehicle, I would be happy to go take a look at this one for you and give you an unbiased report.

Best,
Dirk
1984 Tercel 4WD SR5
1985 Range Rover
1998 Toyota T100 4WD SR5
1995 Toyota T100 4WD SR5
cincilurch
My tercel:: 85 4wd tercel

Post by cincilurch »

I actually bought this one. I had a 2 wheel drive automatic, and pulled the motor out and put it in this one. I was able to get the 4wd for $300.00. I bought the 2wd a month ago for $350.00 After pulling the motor, and other useful parts, and scrapping the old 2wd, and converter, I now have $36.00 in this 4wd. I love this car! It is a blast to drive, and will go places I would have never dreamed! Just got it on the road last night.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

congrats, and welcome to the list cincilurch! post some pics when you can.
deejay1272
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Navy Blue Tercel Wagon SR5 4x4 now with Weber 32/36!

Post by deejay1272 »

cincilurch wrote:I actually bought this one. I had a 2 wheel drive automatic, and pulled the motor out and put it in this one. I was able to get the 4wd for $300.00. I bought the 2wd a month ago for $350.00 After pulling the motor, and other useful parts, and scrapping the old 2wd, and converter, I now have $36.00 in this 4wd. I love this car! It is a blast to drive, and will go places I would have never dreamed! Just got it on the road last night.
Nice work! And welcome to our community. I'm actually from Columbus and I occasionally troll the local Craigslist to see if any of my old cronies back there would be able to find a sweet deal on a T4WD for me - say, something in the $36.00 range. Seriously, that's ridiculous!

Good luck with your new vehicle and be sure to post some photos when you have a second...

Oh yeah - and don't let the Ohio salt destroy your new ride!
---------------------------------------------------------
Beefsteak when I'm hungry, whiskey when I'm dry
Greenbacks when I'm hard up, heaven when I die
dirklc

Post by dirklc »

Congrats on your new ride! Are you in Cincinnati?
1984 Tercel 4WD SR5
1985 Range Rover
1998 Toyota T100 4WD SR5
1995 Toyota T100 4WD SR5
cincilurch

Post by cincilurch »

Here are some pictures of my new ride. I plan to do the "Barto lift", put on some 14" mud and snow tires, change bumpers, and we'll see what else. I am very pleased with this car so far!
ImageImageImage
cincilurch

Post by cincilurch »

dirklc wrote:Congrats on your new ride! Are you in Cincinnati?
Yes, I live in Goshen.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Welcome!
I note your photo...Big Boy in a Little Car!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Hey dude! You missed the driveway! :mrgreen:
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...