Overheating problem

Post here about...well...anything!
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I know someone who has a '91 (I think) Toyota Previa that has overheating problems. That person has already tried replacing the thermostat and that didn't cure it. After 45 min to an hour of driving it, it will start to overheat. I have witnessed it. Just let it cool down for 5-10 min and it will continue to go. It has an auto transmission. Approaching 200k or slightly over that. What could it be?
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

2nd thing to check is that the electric fan is operating properly; the fan should be on when the engine gets above it's normal operating temperature. Other obvious things to check would be coolant level, proper install of the new thermostat, a clean radiator (free of bugs/leaves/etc).
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Replace the radiator cap. Don't ask why, just try it.
You're pretty much explaining my problem, except for the fact that in mine, it happened a lot faster. The new cap fixed it. Just pop off the old, pop on the new.
Curious as to why this would make a difference? Consider the following (lol.. Bill Nye)
Water at sea level boils at approximately 100 degrees celcius. At my altitude (roughly a mile high) you'll see it boil more around 95-97 degrees celcius. Interesting phenomina eh? Wonder why it works that way? Pressure. A system under higher pressures results in an increase in boiling points for any material. A vacuum therefore results in lowered boiling points.
Why does that pertain to a cars cooling system? The radiator cap has a spring on it with a seal at the bottom. This spring is set to compress at between 8 and 20 pounds per square inch of pressure. Why is this? It increases the pressure of the system, raising the boiling point of the liquid inside, keeping it from overheating and boiling over. Just like in a pressure cooker. If this spring is "bad" and compresses at pressures like 3-8 PSI, it is easier for the coolant to boil causing an overheating situation.

You may also want to check the following- coolant plugging (not likely considering time it takes for this situation to overheat) bad water pump (can be signified by "weep holes" and is a little more likely as a decreased water flow could cause a gradual increase in temperature.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Post by Adelard of Bath »

Bill Nye the Science Guy is my hero! Typrus and I are going to be good friends.

and I am too old to like that show, really....it doesn't seem to be on anymore, though
sorry I can't add to the discussion, except to say...if this guy wants to sell the Previa I will drive all the way there and they can have my tercel for free as part of the deal heh
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I loved that show hehe.. Every classtime when they'd say, "We will be watching Bill Nye.." I'd be one of the kids who'd cheer or shout YES! Its great when they can make educational programming fun isn't it?
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

I watched it in college...hee hee
A mechanical engineering student in college, watching a show for people much younger than myself? Cool.
I think my favourite one was the one on "the desert" I think....that must be what it was about cuz he kept saying "Death...Valley..." over and over and I almost died laughing and no one could figure me out.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Well first the overheating problem, then Bill Nye 'The Science Guy' and then the turbine powered Tercel and Previa. It's great that new ideas have sprung off this thread. I have been talking to the guy about replacing it with a newer Previa All-Trac. Sitting on top of the engine is not good. Well your protected by the seat and a metal shield.
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Well I still say if he wants to sell the old Previa...heh heh heh nudge nudge wink wink
course you realise that I haven't even wondered how far away you are from me or how I could possibly drive an overheating vehicle home. oh well fun to dream!
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Adelard of Bath wrote: Well I still say if he wants to sell the old Previa...heh heh heh nudge nudge wink wink
course you realise that I haven't even wondered how far away you are from me or how I could possibly drive an overheating vehicle home. oh well fun to dream!
Sure, with the money he can buy a newer one. :lol: Of course you can drive it home, just stop for 5 - 10 min every hour. :) It's here in (last few weeks it has been raining) Los Angeles, CA. Have fun driving it home (WINK, wink). ;)
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Oh, thanks guys for the replies; I will tell him about it. The Previa is like an old Ford Taurus (well not as big), kind of slow, but good for carrying more than 5 people. Good for eliminating my third row seat idea for the Tercel. I'd sure like a manual transmission, auto doesn't suit my taste. Thanks again. What about waiting 8 more years to build a millenium edition Tercel 4WD. I was actually think about that a couple of days ago. Too bad that you wouldn't be able to use the Toyota make to identify it. I see only 4WD emblems on it.
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Hey guys, I split all the 'turbine engine' talk out of here into a new thread. Thought it would be good to keep this thread about the overheating, and put the other very interesting topic into it's own thread.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS