1986 Wagon Denver

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

1986 Wagon Denver

Post by hberdan »

Not mine, here is one on CL:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2159059757.html
" have a 86 tercel wagon with 4wd that runs. Had recently been tuned up and had an oil change. The back passenger door does not open because a tree fell on it. Also needs new tires two of which are flat at moment. When i went to get emissions done on the car they told me it wouldn't accelerate fast enough to test. The car has 185k miles on it. If you are handy with cars at all this would be a good deal. Wont take to much to get this badboy back on the road. email me for pictures "
"I'm high on the real thing: Powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine."
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Re: 1986 Wagon Denver

Post by tercel4wdrules »

hberdan wrote: When i went to get emissions done on the car they told me it wouldn't accelerate fast enough to test."
Now this is just sad...
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

he should have told them that is the way the accelerate front the factory.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

I got a laugh about the acceleration too.

I know they are slow, but that slow? Gve me a break. Could have been the tester's fault?
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Post by hberdan »

They do test cars here first at idle then by running them up to a speed of 55, with the drive axle between two rollers . There is some kind of a time limit, so may just be that his car didn't make it to 55 before the test period ended. Usually they will attempt it more than once but even if it fails the owner can retest it later.
I've had cars fail at one testing station but not at another, both the same distance from home. Those emission test guys don't seem to be the sharpest end of the stick, if you know what I mean.
"I'm high on the real thing: Powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine."
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

they should inflate the front tires to 40 psi, and make sure the rollers are set close enough together so they do not sink down between them.

If for some reason the car has vac leaks or other issues, it would be even more underpowered and contribute to the problem.

likely as you say, operator not careful to fit the car to the dyno when doing the test.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)