'86 SR5 in Erie, CO

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
Highlander
Top Notch Member

'86 SR5 in Erie, CO

Post by Highlander »

I ran across this guy the other day on the road, good looking car, v. little rust, but too rich for my blood. He wants $1500 for it with 206k on the clock, I told him that I bought my last two for less than that total. Besides, we already have 2 Gold ones and a third would just be too weird :wink: . Sunroof, factory alloys, etc. NFI,YMMV, etc. etc :D
sale-bach9-1852266464@craigslist.org
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Re: '86 SR5 in Erie, CO

Post by hberdan »

I saw that ad last week, called the seller. He waxed on and on over the great condition. I went over to his house, hoping for the best, to look at the car, described as being "in excellent condition", yada yada. Well, I got out there way early, looked it over, then drove away without even knocking on the front door.
There is serious body damage on the passenger side--both doors are damaged, and the driver's passenger door is also dented--to me, it looks like the car was "accordioned" in some kind of accident at one time.
The paint is badly sunfaded, there's plenty of rust thru the body in various spots.
It was parked on a clean driveway, and I noticed that the front engine seal is dripping oil, and the transmission left quite a puddle on the concrete. Not just a rear seal issue, the front end was also leaking .
The front windshield is completely cracked thru and thru.
So, overall, imho, a parts car, overpriced, and the important transmission part, the valuable part of a parts car--leaks badly.
Caveat Emptor on this one. The guy says he bought it at 202 K miles, and now it has 206K. Sounds like he's trying to dump it because of a problem. It's a $300 car, just for the useable engine parts, maybe the rear hatch.
"I'm high on the real thing: Powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine."