Tercel4wd needs to be rescued! Seattle area

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Tercel4wd needs to be rescued! Seattle area

Post by Petros »

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/1767618834.html

CHEAP CAR NEEDS TO SELL ASAP! MOVING OUT OF STATE!!!

Here's the facts folks... I'm moving out of the state in less than two weeks and I would like this car gone in the next two days. If it's not gone by Wednesday it's going to charity or the scrap yard.

1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD Station Wagon; automatic transmission.
I'm only the 3rd owner (sorry no pics at the moment; she ain't a beauty but not an eyesore either).
Low miles for year; decent tires (at least another year or so).
New alternator, new radiator, new water pump, and new belt from water pump to alternator just since 2009 (have reciepts and warranties for the parts).
The bad: (hence why so cheap)
Just found out today that the head gasket is blown & she needs a tune up. Also, I have somehow managed to lose the actual title to the car sometime in between my apartment flooding and moving. However I have all current and previous registrations & can prove I am the legal owner. Have all paperwork needed to legally sell the car without a title and have notorization available. Seriously folks, it's a great car except for those problems. The new parts alone are worth more than my price; I just need it gone asap.

Please CALL me at (360) 761-8032.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Tercel4wd needs to be rescued! Seattle area

Post by dlb »

where are you moving to, petros? i love washington state, especially the snoqualmie area. i might move there eventually and live out my twin peaks dream.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

The car is in Sumner and Petros is in Arlington.
Besides, after reading the CL ad - I don't think Petros is anywhere as disorganized as the seller; if anything - quite the opposite...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

oohhhhh, my bad. i didn't read where the vehicle was and just assumed that it was petros's own. i wondered about the head gasket thing though because he seems to love fixing those and i couldn't imagine him turning down an opportunity to do another.
emmahumpfritter
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by emmahumpfritter »

davidlucasbarnes wrote:oohhhhh, my bad. i didn't read where the vehicle was and just assumed that it was petros's own. i wondered about the head gasket thing though because he seems to love fixing those and i couldn't imagine him turning down an opportunity to do another.
I thought the same thing for a second...then realized he was passing on the info :)
260K with no end in sight....
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I was just passing on a good deal, the guy states he will scrap it in two days if not sold. I already have several project cars, including an '86 T4wd I picked up cheap (needs a rear diff. amoung a few other issues). I am not interested in any auto trans Tercels, but I thought someone on the list might.

Yup, I have done more than a few head gaskets, not that I "like" doing them, I have just developed a procedure to do it faster than the FSM instructs. Some day I may write it up for the "repair guide" section of this site.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

you don't fool me, petros. you're a head gasket maniac! i'm actually super envious that you're so efficient at it. i'm pretty comfortable with most aspects of wrenching but i've never opened an engine up so i get nervous about the prospect of it. i'm putting the 4A in next week though so i'm going to bring the 3A home and take it apart, see how it works, clean/fix as necessary, and put it back together. i should feel a lot more confident with engines after that.

i would definitely be interested in your head gasket guide! god knows if i blow one on a road trip i would hate to be gouged by some crook and have them do it. i've been in that position before with a VW passat wagon and it was cheaper to just trade it against a beater the garage had and sell the beater when i got home. i wasn't a happy camper over that deal, though.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I have done it on road trips, had everything I needed with me (except a torque wrench, which I "borrowed"). I bought a head gasket for about $18, and had it apart and back together and running again in about 3 to 3 1/2 hours (including a dinner break). That included resurfacing the head and and top of the block face by hand. I also took the time to groove the combustion chambers as well.

Fortunately I encountered no major issues, broken bolts or other bad parts during the process, something very likely to happen on a car with over 300k miles on it.

I would never pay some flunky to do it for me, especially on a road trip. After that it ran the best of the whole trip, should have done it sooner.
dave88
My tercel:: 85 4x4 Auto Wagon 135k

Post by dave88 »

This is the Tercel I ended up with, I could have sworn the price was on this post when I first joined this forum ($300-$400)? I remember it was considerably less than the guy I got it from said he paid :) Anyway, I don't really care. The guy I got it from in west seattle gave me the impression he is a very good mechanic. It looks like he did a really good job on the head. It needs a few things here and there, but it drives good, and it's only got 134k on it. The tranny seems solid, but these automatics sure have a low top cruising speed.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Well good for you Dave88! Another Tercel4wd saved from the crusher! Hope you can make the PNW gathering we are planning in August, it is always fun to meet others on the list and see their ride.

Does that Tercel need a new head gasket? Or is is drivable the way it is? If it is not too bad you can drive it as long as you keep the coolant topped up. You can also try the newer head gasket repair sealant (not the radiator stop-leak). This stuff costs about $10 and you have to drain your system, allow it to seal, and cure overnight. I have used it in the past on a Nissan it worked for me. I do not know if I would consider it a permanent fix, but it worked for the next 8-9 months until I sold the Nissan.
dave88

Post by dave88 »

Petros wrote:Well good for you Dave88! Another Tercel4wd saved from the crusher! Hope you can make the PNW gathering we are planning in August, it is always fun to meet others on the list and see their ride.

Does that Tercel need a new head gasket? Or is is drivable the way it is? If it is not too bad you can drive it as long as you keep the coolant topped up. You can also try the newer head gasket repair sealant (not the radiator stop-leak). This stuff costs about $10 and you have to drain your system, allow it to seal, and cure overnight. I have used it in the past on a Nissan it worked for me. I do not know if I would consider it a permanent fix, but it worked for the next 8-9 months until I sold the Nissan.
The guy I got it from did a head job, he said he got it surfaced even, I think he said he did the valves too. It stays nice and cool.

I might try to make the gathering, when and where is it?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

details are not final yet, check the "meets" thread for updates.
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

Glad to hear that car is in the club, and it's a great deal if you go it for $300-400. Hopefully you won't have any problems getting the title, I know in some states it can be a real pain.

Ever thought of converting it to a 6 speed? Did xirdneh ever finish his swap? Many benefits to be had, and it's prolly not too difficult.
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
dave88

Post by dave88 »

I paid a little more for it. I found this forum, and this thread right after buying it. When I first saw this thread I could have sworn it had the price the lady was asking? It does not now, which I found odd. So I'm thinking the guy I got it from may be a member of this forum? :)

The guy I got it from got it from her. He pressure washed it, and did a head job. He said he is a certified mechanic and has done hundreds of heads. I think it maybe could use a carb rebuild, or maybe just a little adjustment. It runs great when driving, accelerates great off the line, but sputters slightly when idling. It Hasn't stalled on me though. I'm running a tank of premium with a bottle of carb cleaner in it now to see if that helps.

I got a notarized affidavit of lost title, I had no prob transferring it.