WTB: Input Shaft to fit '85 T4WD manual tranny

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5, stock; 1987 T4WD DLX wagon, manual tranny

WTB: Input Shaft to fit '85 T4WD manual tranny

Post by garyfish »

I'm in need of a "good" Input Shaft from a low-mileage T4WD manual transmission. Bonus if there's decent bearings accompanying the input shaft. By "low mileage" I mean preferably less than 150,000 miles on the tranny, maybe more if the input shaft looks decent.

Photos of what I'm looking for are at this link: viewtopic.php?p=13375#p13375
- In the first photo, the input shaft is shown protruding from the top of the tranny. The splines engage the clutch disc, and the small end fits into the pilot bearing mounted in the center of the flywheel.
- Succeeding photos show how to remove the input shaft.
- The 6th photo shows the input shaft (and its associated end bearing) after removal.

My input shaft is in bad shape. When I had the input shaft out briefly during my clutch job this past spring, I noticed severe pitting on the shaft just forward of the helical gear. That's where the roller bearing at the front of the tranny rides (the roller bearing is visible in the 5th photo at the above link). I'm pretty certain that's the cause of my excessive bearing noise when I release the clutch... when I let my foot off the clutch, the sound is there no matter if I'm stopped or in motion... and when I push the clutch pedal down, the sound disappears :(
More info about my problem is detailed in the following posts on the forum -- from this link to the end of the thread:
http://www.tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtop ... 188#p37188

I looked at 5 parts cars I knew about in my area... but all had over 250K miles, some were automatics, and/or the tranny was missing. So I'm putting it out to the forum and casting a wider net :)

Question: Is the input shaft the same for all T4WD model years, or is there some difference in the helical gear between the '82 to '84 w/ the 3.73:1 ratio, and the '85 to '88 w/ the 4.10:1 ratio? Also, do 4WD models use the same input shaft as 2WD models? I suspect not, but hopefully somebody out there has more specific info.

I know that the long-term solution is to acquire a whole tranny/transaxle assembly from a low-mileage Terc 4x4 wagon with the 4.10:1 ratio, but so far no luck there.

Thanks, in advance, for any info or help y'all can provide :D
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, 300K
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member

Re: WTB: Input Shaft to fit '85 T4WD manual tranny

Post by garyfish »

was hoping SOMEBODY out there had a junked tranny with a decent input shaft... :|
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Have you tried these SEARCH sites?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62

http://dir.yahoo.com/business_and_econo ... arts/used/

Might find a trans within driving distance....
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Spare input shaft slightly damaged. I think the damaged teeth could be touched up to remove sharp edges. Anybody have any experience running with slightly damaged teeth? Noises?
The bearing sounds like it has some crap in it but feels as tight as another good shaft with bearing that I have. (I'm keeping that one)
Seems like the rubber dust covers (what are those called?) could be removed and bearing could be cleaned up and re-greased. I know someone who does this but have never asked him to show me how.
Any ways you have the first shot at it for cost of shipping.
The upper tooth has a small shallow chip in center on top of tooth.
The lower one has a wider chip about 1/3 depth.
P1000646.JPG
P1000648.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

You might be able to run that for a while, It will not make any noticable noise, noise comes from bad bearings, not the teeth. But I am not sure it is worth the effort. The metal fatigues and starts breaking off like that, so even if you buff off the damage, the rest of the gear teeth have the same amount of cyclic loading, and are likely to start breaking down too. You have reach the fatigue limit on this one I suspect.

Consider all of the engine power is driving through this gear, it is not like the gear cluster where each gear is only loaded when you shift into that gear. That means you will be loading up the damaged tooth each time it comes it around, especially when you are accelerating. That is a lot of cyclic loading on a damgaged tooth.

It may have just had a slight defect, or was run dry for a bit and broke off, which means you might be able to run with good lube for a long time, but I would not count on it. It will get you on the road for a little while, though it seems a lot of effort to put that in and than swap it out in a month or two anyway.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member

Post by garyfish »

xirdneh -- thanks for posting the photos & offering me the input shaft for a very reasonable price.

Likewise, thanks to Petros for his sage perspective on the durability and utility of this shaft with its damaged gear teeth.

But I think I'm gonna get this input shaft just for the end bearing, which is no longer available through the sources I checked (can anybody out there prove me wrong?). The other bearing -- not shown above but mounted in the tranny housing -- is still available from Butler Toyota and toyotapartszone.com and perhaps other outlets.

PM coming your way, xirdneh
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I differ some on the gear noise...with my old trans..the guy who drove it home got nasty and power shifted it...chipping at least one gear in 3rd...and it always had a bit of noise in 3rd when accelerating in that gear...though it got less noisy as it wore in. I did find a couple of gear chips when the oil was first changed. When this trans went...it was a bearing that destroyed itself...putting metal flakes all through the gear oil.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Petros wrote:You might be able to run that for a while, It will not make any noticable noise, noise comes from bad

It may have just had a slight defect, or was run dry for a bit and broke off, which means you might be able to run with good lube for a long time, but I would not count on it. It will get you on the road for a little while, though it seems a lot of effort to put that in and than swap it out in a month or two anyway.

I picked up this input shaft along with a disassembled tranny that had problems.
the damaged teeth had trace amounts of white powder on them
i thought maybe it had been dropped on concrete or something
but who knows
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 4x4 Automatic - restored

Post by CathodeRayTube »

why not put it in a lathe and remove the old bearing surface completly on the shaft, and then go get some aftermarket bearing that will fit, and have the shaved-down shaft fit inside the bore of the new bearing...?

i have never seen pictures or the inside of the tranny like this before...is the way the input shaft is made one of the "frailtys" that is associated with these transmissions?
86 T4 DX 4x4 - Diesel Swap project
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
85 F250 dually 6.9 turbo diesel
81 VW Rabbit Turbo diesel project