WTB: 83 5 speed transmission (or front diff)

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
My tercel:: 1983 4WD - stock.

WTB: 83 5 speed transmission (or front diff)

Post by 510 »

I found a couple of gear teeth stuck to the drain plug when I changed my tranny fluid :shock: I think my transmission/differential is on its last legs, so if anyone has one they'd be willing to sell in the Seattle area I'd really appreciate it.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: WTB: 83 5 speed transmission (or front diff)

Post by Petros »

I might have a good front diff for you. I have an '83 parts tranny in my garage, the tranny gear cluster is trashed. You can have it cheap. I am at Smokey point about 25 miles north of seattle.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)

Post by 510 »

That sounds perfect petros! I sent you a PM.

Post by 510 »

A little update: I drove my car to Oregon last weekend, on the way there, about 100 miles south of Seattle something in the tranny gave out.

In retrospect, it wasn't the brightest idea to drive all that way... Now I'm looking for a complete transmission, d'oh!
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

Post by sdoan »

Bad break. Great picture of it though! It might still be something that failed in the front differential and maybe the trans is still ok? Let us know what you find.

Post by 510 »

sdoan wrote:Bad break. Great picture of it though! It might still be something that failed in the front differential and maybe the trans is still ok? Let us know what you find.
unfortunately not the case :shock:

I opened up the transmission and found this:

All of the teeth have been stripped off of the input shaft and the two other gears that run off it. I also noticed that there were a total of 4 teeth missing from the ring gear and there was a crack in the diff cover.

Here's what I think happened: before I left for Oregon I changed the halfshafts and did a fluid change, since the new fluid was thinner than the old sludge it easily leaked through the cracked diff cover during the drive. Without fluid it overheated and the teeth became so hot and soft that they failed. Its also possible that chunks of the ring gear made it into the gears and busted them, but it looks like they've been smooshed.

The weird thing is, there was no bang or other noises. When it failed it was just as if I had pushed in the clutch, simple as that.