3AC TBI conversion kit

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Mega_Man
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota Tercel 2wd wagon. TBI conversion.

3AC TBI conversion kit

Post by Mega_Man »

Hi all! Was amazed when i just now found this board dedicated to just old Tercels. I may have a contribution for you all.

So anyhow, the story goes... I bought the wife an automatic 87 tercel 2wd wagon about 2 months ago, didnt run worth a crap, rebuilt the carb... and it still didnt run much better. I've no interest in diagnosing and dealing with all the primative vacuum actuated/switching crap found on these so i decided at that point just to swap it over to fuel injection as that is what i do. After converting it... i'm in love- but i'm just lacking 4wd.

The 'meat' of the current set up consists of:

-A Megasquirt-II v2.2 ECM (running MS2-extra firmware... although it's only controlling fuel delivery at the moment -Ignition control could be added pretty easily).

-A GM TBI700 unit from a mid-80's cavalier. (this is their single barrel/injector TBI unit used on the old 2.0 and 2.5 4 bangers. It has a built in TPS, stepper motor IAC and pressure regulator.)

-External in-line fuel pump from a volvo wagon. (A monster... but it's rated for port injection... So i used a 2 ohm, 100w wire-wound power resistor to effectively drop the pressure output to right about 18 psi at idle voltage which allows the tbi700 to regulate at near 13psi.)

-Threaded o2 sensor adapter plate.

-Innovate! LC-1 wideband controller and sensor.

-A few hundred feet of wire... of various gauges - but mostly 22ga.

I cut my own manifold adapter for the TBI unit out of... laminated particle board of all things :lol: . The intention was just to use it as a mock-up to make sure everything would fit... it turned out to actually be 100% functional as well. It's still holding up after over a month... even after wrenching on the TBI while bolted up. (i do of course have a template that i can send off in order to get proper metal plates machined if it turns out that there is any interest).

There's not a whole lot more involved beyond that... aside from making a big 1 inch hole in the firewall, a bit of new fuel line, some vacuum line and greasy hands. I completed everything but the tuning in 3 days (including building the ms and wire harness from scratch, and gathering parts from my super-u-pull)

I would guestimate it's making maybe 75hp at 5500+ and maybe a bit more tq than that around 3800... however- i reside at an elevation of 6000ft, and i'm only guestimating vs the feel of a vehicle dyno verified at 140/131. I can say that long hills are no longer a struggle in drive(3rd)... and drivability is much better (will fire up immediately and drive quite nicely freezing thanks to afterstart enrichment, warmup enrichment and the IAC.)

I'm not interested in making a whole lot of $... just a bit over cost for my time and effort. I not interested in busting butt either... so delivery could be upwards of 3+ weeks.

$550 will cover a complete kit... minus the wideband (a 4 wire heated narrowband o2 would be provided instead). The tuning is pretty much spot on at this point anyways... so unless you have some serious mods, you wouldnt need the wideband for further intensive tuning anyhow.

I'll post some pics in a day or so if anyone is interested. Any questions or anything- post em.
Mega_Man

Re: 3AC TBI conversion kit

Post by Mega_Man »

Oh... and as a side note. That rebuilt aisan carb and all the vacuum control crap littered about in the left side of the engine bay is available if anyone needs. As are both the metal vacuum line assemblies that bolt up near the head and also right above the EGR valve.

I should probably also note that this is probably not going to pass inspection (especially the way i have it set up w/ no more EGR, no canister purge control, etc... all gone). Off road use only! Sadly though... potentially it will probably far exceed what's required on just a sniff test.
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

pictures please, PLEASE PICTURES.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Mega_Man wrote:I cut my own manifold adapter for the TBI unit out of... laminated particle board of all things :lol: . The intention was just to use it as a mock-up to make sure everything would fit... it turned out to actually be 100% functional as well. It's still holding up after over a month... even after wrenching on the TBI while bolted up. (i do of course have a template that i can send off in order to get proper metal plates machined if it turns out that there is any interest).
I think Jegs sells some plywood carb/TB adaptors...stop heat transfer?

Take the tuning into the future?

http://oupower.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

The pursuit of mpg.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Mega_Man wrote:I may have a contribution for you all.
Hey, thanks for developing this and offering it to the community here. From my experience, your pricing is pretty excellent for this type of service. Had I not already bought a Weber, I'd likely be very interested. How is your fuel economy with the setup?

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forums!
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Great set-up! The worst thing about these cars is that carb and emissions junk. I would not mind such a set-up, please see if you can compare the fuel econmony before and after, if it improves this should pay for itself in short order.

Although the price is not bad for the kit, does that include the junkyard parts too? If so can you give us a price for just the ECM and wiring, where we find our own TBI, O2 sensor, other parts and we make the adapter?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mega_Man

Post by Mega_Man »

Heyas!

I'm not even sure of the stock spec... but still, it's an absolute given that fuel economy is definately much improved (i dont have an exact number for you all yet). It's at least 30-40mpg city though. (i think it's more though... unless the wife is putting gas in and not telling me). I would almost swear though... that $20 is equating to 250 - 300+ on the tripometer.

This is all with a wideband however... meaning that you can provide your ecu an ' AFR target table' which when combined with a nearly perfect VE table, perfect accel enrichments and a decel/overrun fuel cut... means hardly any wasted fuel. But If you use a narrowband... the ecu will attempt to keep everything in the 'closed-loop' range -stoich.

(the closed loop range is user definable btw). But you do not want to run closed loop at idle or at near/at WOT.

I will also say that just 'keeping up with traffic' - 'light to light' city driving never requires over 50% throttle now.

This motor will idle 'ok' while slightly leaner than stoich (but richer than stoich provide a rock solid idle though)... and it can 'cruise' at a super lean 16.5 - 17:1 no problem... making for an excellent commuter. At the same time... you can program the ECU to deliver appropriate amounts of fuel at high loads/WOT to achieve 13.1 in the high tq area, and 12.5 in the high HP area - without sacrificing light throttle/cruise economy of course. So really... fuel economy merely becomes a byproduct of driver discipline -like with any modern fuel injected vehicle (except even better in this case... *with a wideband*).

I've got some pics on my laptop... i'll move em over and make them net friendly shortly.

Petros... Yes, that price includes the j/y parts (TBI & fuel pump... verified to be good), along with vacuum tubing, fuel line, installation instructions and misc.

But if anyone just wants the ECM and wiring harness.... that no problem for $350. However, as i'm sure you know... if you deviate from my setup at all (i.e. same tbi, same fp pressure) then you will have some serious tuning to do as my settings and VE maps are specific to req fuel at a given fuel pressure. It's also not exactly 'bolt on and go' at that point either... which leaves you with quite a bit of work/trial and error ahead....

The ecm and wiring harness alone could even allow one to convert to port injection... if one were so compulsively inclined to make their own manifold/fuel rail. lol

Anyhow... more to come. Thanks guys!
Tercel4X4Fun
My tercel:: 83 Tercel SR5 4WD SW Sunroof

Post by Tercel4X4Fun »

Hey! Mega_Man,
Any updates on the TBI conversion kit?
How many have your sold?
What is the feedback?
Any one from high altitude area installed one?
I live at 6500 ft above sea level, that is where my fun begins.
Need to know how it will do at 9000 ft.
Get OFF-ROAD in a 4WD Tercel SR5 T o d a y ! ! ! !
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Yeah, any pics? Was it difficult to adapt a Chevy system onto a Toyota manifold? Did you, have to make any adapter as well or did it fit first time w/o adapter with flying colors? What's your story on a check engine light (MIL light)? Did you have to change the whole Tercel dash and instrument cluster for the Cavalier one? I hate to go a little off-topic, but did you know there is such thing as a Toyota Cavalier in Japan, which is basically the same thing as a Chevy one, just with Toyota engineering. Maybe you could get the TBI unit from that car and make it work too, lol! :o :P 8) :!: :idea:
K-Business
golden_glory
My tercel:: 86 SR5 4WD

Post by golden_glory »

Hate to break it to you, JDM Cav is the Chevy one... just imported and sold as a Toyota. Think Geo Prism/Toyota Corolla. Its a wonder they don't sell so well over there...
Madison, Wisconsin
1986 Tercel SR5_135k 6 spd with newly rebuilt dinosaur burner
1992 Celica ST_213k 5 spd currently not driving
No more bus pass. Werd.
alex16
My tercel:: 1983 6speed a/c, towbar, hitch, sr5

Post by alex16 »

got any pictures yet? I really want to see this interesting setup
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Mega_Man has not revisited in the seven months since his 3 posts - better send him a PM...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Hate to break it to you, JDM Cav is the Chevy one... just imported and sold as a Toyota. Think Geo Prism/Toyota Corolla. Its a wonder they don't sell so well over there...
Are you sure? :( :o :shock: :? :?: :idea: :|
K-Business
Tercel4X4Fun
My tercel:: 83 Tercel SR5 4WD SW Sunroof

Post by Tercel4X4Fun »

..... been out but am back.

I am getting to my tercel project. Motor is on the stand, crank turned and in. Still waiting for new pistons. I am going stock head to break in the motor, then going to convert to TBI. Then I will lift it. So still looking for help there. I sent a PM to Mega_Man, I sure hope they are linked to his email and the email account he uses is active.

BUDDii
Get OFF-ROAD in a 4WD Tercel SR5 T o d a y ! ! ! !