Boots for rack & pinion shafts?

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Rumrumm
My tercel:: '87 Tercel 2WD wagon, mostly original, owned since new.

Boots for rack & pinion shafts?

Post by Rumrumm »

The car, an '87 2WD wagon with power steering. The problem, it needs both R&P boots replaced. Thru Rock Auto, I ordered Beck Arnley # 1032683, as all the online references I can Google suggest, but the rack side of this boot was too small to fit. I improvised by using the "old" boot half on the rack side, and cut the "new" boot in half & installed it on the tie rod side, & siliconed them together for a temporary fix. Does anyone happen to know what part number is correct, and where can I locate a pair? Also, does anyone know of a "split" boot for this, so dis-assembly and another front end alignment is not necessary?
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Re: Boots for rack & pinion shafts?

Post by Highlander »

Obvious question-Did you silicone the inside of the boots before trying to put them on the rack? They are a tight fit, but I've had no trouble replacing mine. I mark the steering shaft and the tie rod before I break the nut loose, then don't turn the nut again until I have the shaft threaded back into the tie rod. Bring the tie rod up to the nut, back off until its aligned with your mark, and you're within a whisker of where you were originally. Use silicone to get the boot over the nut, and be sure to use the factory flats to turn the steering rod (or hold it while you turn the tie rod off, whichever you prefer), and you should be OK.
It should be easier with a 2WD than my 4WDs, no axle shaft in the way. JMHO
EDIT- On further reflection, the reason that I didn't have a lot of trouble with this is because I have the 'right' tool. I always use a cotter key puller (looks like a phillips head screwdriver ground to a modest point and twisted sideways) whenever I have to remove hoses or install boots. To install boots, I lube the inside of the part, put the boot over the unreachable portion of the seat, and slide the cotter key tool inside of the boot. Then I run around the lip using the tool to stretch the boot, and my hand to keep it on the lip. The boots usually go on in about 30 sec to a minute. I use the same tool to loosen hoses without damaging the hose or the neck, I slip (or work) the modest point between the hose and the neck and then work it around the neck to break any sticky bonds. I've never told anyone about this :mrgreen: , but it saves me much anguish :x and aggravation :cry: .
Last edited by Highlander on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

I bought the boot for power steering and thought it was way too small too.
I tried like hell to get it on but could not.
I called Rock Auto and they assured me I had the correct boot.
So i went out and tried again and dammed if it didn't go on.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Rumrumm

Post by Rumrumm »

I appreciate your input, guys... But there was no way on God's green earth it could have stretched THAT much. To estimate, the rack attachment collar is approximately 3", and that end of the new boot was 1", MAYBE 1.5". And with them made out of a somewhat firm type of plastic, even heating it would not have helped. Maybe I have an oddball rack, but it's the original one that was in it when we bought it brand new on the dealers lot. Not sure what to do now. Thanks anyway, though!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I just looked at Butler Toy's parts site - it shows different boots for manual and power. Dunno the difference myself, as the ones for PS I got from AutoZone or Advance back in '05 fit fine - snug, but not at all challenging to fit.
Check this illustration from NAPA (dimensions also shown): http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/N ... n+Boot+Kit
NOTE...
Check this link to Advance's site: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... inion+boot
The B&A part number you show from RA is shown by ADV to be for manual steering; MS uses two different boots, whereas PS uses the same (which is the way I recall...). The MOOG boots shown are three different ones, as you will note for MS and PS.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Rumrumm

Post by Rumrumm »

Kudo's, Tom! Yes, I see the difference in their illustrations. Apparently, the part I received was incorrect, even though the part number checks out with several online sources. Thanks!
Bill
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

The diameter of the power steering rack end for the boot is about 2.0625 dia on both ends
The diameter for non-power steering is about 1.54 dia on passenger side and about 1.64 on drivers side.

If i remember correctly the boot I received for the power steering was about 1.68 dia (inside)
I had to stretch it over the end with a screw driver.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.