Have Odd differential with 3.153 to 1 ratio

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Have Odd differential with 3.153 to 1 ratio

Post by xirdneh »

Was checking out the three dead trannys I have.
Two are 3.727 to 1 (41 teeth on ring, 11 on pinion)

But one was an oddball 3.153 to 1 (41 teeth on ring, 13 on pinion) (had a larger diameter flywheel too)
It was connected to a 3ac engine out of a Tercel 4wd Wagon.
Ten years ago a guy gave me the engine and tranny after he replaced both in his car (the tranny was broke and engine was high milage)
I re-ringed the engine and its still kicking in one of my cars.
I wonder if he replaced the rear differential?

Where does that tranny fit in to all this Tercel 4wd Wagon stuff?????
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Re: Have Odd differential with 3.153 to 1 ratio

Post by danzo »

Are you sure the pinion gear has 13 teeth? A 3.15 final drive is unusally low. 12 teeth would make that a 3.42 which I believe was used in Tercel hatchbacks and maybe fwd Tercel wagons (sorry I don't have my Chilton books handy). Is that gearbox 4wd or just fwd? Do you want to know what car it fits so you can sell that gearbox?
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Have Odd differential with 3.153 to 1 ratio

Post by xirdneh »

danzo wrote:Are you sure the pinion gear has 13 teeth? A 3.15 final drive is unusally low. 12 teeth would make that a 3.42 which I believe was used in Tercel hatchbacks and maybe fwd Tercel wagons (sorry I don't have my Chilton books handy). Is that gearbox 4wd or just fwd? Do you want to know what car it fits so you can sell that gearbox?
I just counted it again and it's definatly 13 teeth but I double checked where it came from and it was from a sedan.
It was piled on top of the other bell housing that came out of a 4wd ( I did not notice that there was one underneath)
My mistake.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.