Differential

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
graphiteblimp99
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984, Toyota, Tercel, SR 5, Push Guard, Fog Lights

Differential

Post by graphiteblimp99 »

Can any one give me a step by step of changing my differential fluid adn what I shoul dput in it. I have an idea but I don't want to mess it up or take any other chances.
Thanks
alex16
My tercel:: 1983 6speed a/c, towbar, hitch, sr5

Re: Differential

Post by alex16 »

if your talking about the rear differential its very simple. There is a large drain plug at the bottom and there's a fill plug in the middle. I forget what size MM socket and 1/2 breaker bar I used but it is best to use a Metric size that is 6 Point. After it all trains out re install the plug and remove the fill plug. I personally have a restaurant style ketchup bottle filled with gear oil that I point into the hole and squirt gear oil in. It normally takes about 3-4 of these bottles. Once fluid starts trying to drip out of the fill plug put the plug back in and your done. This can be applied for the transmission as well.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Before you do this, you should clean around the fill and drain plus with carb cleaner real good. Get all of the grime, sand, grit, etc. away from openings so you do not get any in the differential housing. Clean both the plugs real good before you re-install them. The fastest way to ruin a good differential is to introduce a small amount of sand or grit.

As far as fluid most people use the manual recommend gear oil, these diffs are pretty robust (unlike the transmission) and failures are pretty rare, so normal gear oil is probably fine. Some people prefer to put in synthetic gear oil, it lubricates better, lasts longer and may increase economy very slightly because of the lower friction. It costs a lot more, so I personally doubt the extra cost is worth any savings (I doubt you could even measure the improved MPG enough to matter).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

If you are talking about info on filling the front diff...
DO A SEARCH FOR INFO ON THIS - VERY IMPORTANT ! ! !
I think the most important was contributed by Typrus and kamiphloj:
1. Make CERTAIN the filler plugs can be removed before removing the drain plugs (applies to rear as well).
2. As far as the front plugs go - do not use conventional 12-point sockets/wrenches; grind down the chamfer on 6-point
sockets - these thin plugs are EASY to strip (if not already in that condition!).
Tom M.

EDIT: Also grind away the chamfer on a cheapie 12-point box end - you will need it for the filler on the right side as an emergency- unless you can find a 6-point box end to grinds down; I've not seen one of the latter in many, man, years.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
graphiteblimp99
Advanced Member

I did mean the rear but it might not hurt to do the front and transmission while I'm at it, thank you for all your help. And since I probably will do the transmission just to clarify, it is as easy as emptying and replugging then filling it till some comes out of the filler cap?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

RE the front: It is as easy as FIRST removing the filler plugs, then the drain plugs, then plugging the drains and filling.
There are several schools of thought on the refilling procedure: Do a SEARCH !
It is tedious and can be messy...
And grind the chamfer on the 6-point sockets! http://www.tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtop ... it=chamfer
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
graphiteblimp99
Advanced Member

Thanks, I'll do a serach for sure.